Format: Kindle Edition|Change

on 12 December 2000
The highly emotional story of Corrie ten Boom is told beautifully in her book, The Hiding Place. It is, in a word, unique. Her courage shows throughout the story, of how her trust in her sister and her belief that God loved her kept her sustained throughout the horrors of a concentration camp during the Second World War, sent there because she did what she thought was right. She risked everything to protect Jews from the Nazis, because Jesus was a Jew; and this is a quality I have never heard of in such a strong sense before. Every moment of the story held me in amazement, as I gradually realised the true meaning of being a prisoner and Corrie's survival a struggle all the way, in a battle of her emotions and her sister's beliefs of forgiveness to everyone who did wrong. The most striking thing for me, however, was no matter what happened, the sisters thanked God, and their prayers were always answered. A remarkable book, telling the story of a remarkable woman.
on 18 August 2013
This book was recommended by the curate from my church. He and his wife had both read it and enjoyed it. I feel it was an interesting book on many levels. For me as a new Christian the faith elements were interesting, however so was the historical account of war time in Holland and the concentration camps. I think therefore that this book will appeal to Christians and non Christians alike.
on 17 October 2014
One of my favourite books.

The idea that such gentle people would be so brave and Christian to offer hiding places to fleeing Jews in WW2. I really admired their courage and tenacity.

The very elderly father could have been spared prison if he promised not to hide anymore Jews. His response was that he would not turn away anyone who came to him for help. The poor man died in prison.

Corrie and her sister were sent to a concentration camp were sadly her sister due to a long standing health problem exacerbated by the harsh conditions within the camp, died. Corrie although broken hearted carried on telling the other prisoners about God and her beliefs and was eventually released.

A sad but beautifully written book.
on 9 June 2014
If anyone had told me about this before I knew it was true I'd have struggled to believe it. But it IS true and one has heard and seen her speaking publicly of her experiences on tape and film, still available. If anyone needs inspiration or encouragement then read this, as it will stir you with the possibilities in your own life and maybe inspire you to be such an encouragement to others to live lives that are brilliant in their shining Jesus to others! Let's forgive as Corrie forgives which is just a shadow, as we know, of God's forgiveness of us! We're valuable to God as His ambassadors!
on 1 February 2014
I knew the story of the remarkable Connie ten Boom, but I hadn't ever read the book. I wanted my children to learn about this remarkable Christian family and particularly Connie's inspiring story. Easy to read but due to its content I think better for mature young children, maybe 10 years plus. It helps them understand about the frightening times for regular people during WW2 and how courageous some were in the face of evil. Highly recommended reading for adults and older children as an addition to Anne Frank's diary and aan important read for Christians.
on 9 August 2014
I love this book I have purchased it so many times for myself and many, many, times as gifts that were always equally appreciated. when I saw I could get it on my Kindle I just had to have it, as I have lost my paper back and I love to reread it; It always speaks to my heart and spirit; What ever is going on in my life I find it a help.
on 21 January 2013
Biography of Corrie ten Boom and how she ended up in a concentration camp for hiding Jewish refugees in a hidden room in her family home. There's also a lot of family history and how her family felt it necessary to aid Jews because of their Christian faith.
on 31 August 2013
If you have read Anne Frank's diary, you will love this book. An incredible account of one family's brave and selfless actions during WW II which resulted in the lives of many Jewish people being saved. Follow up the book with a visit to Harlaan, Holland and visit the Ten Boom museum for yourselves. A life changing experience.
on 27 June 2009
After a disappointing visit to the Corrie ten Boom in Haarlem (I was proselytised to) I was somewhat wary of reading this book. My concerns were unfounded. "The Hiding Place" is a gripping, very readable account of the life of Dutch Christian and Resistance worker Corrie ten Boom covering the years up to circa. 1947.

The book covers Corrie's life from birth, early life through middle age to the war. There is a lot of interesting detail and all through the closeness of the family and their faith shines through. Timelines are included in the appendix for further detail.

Corrie and her immediate family were always willing to help those in need and it was as accidental as it was inevitable that the family ended up in the Resistance. This led to her arrest and imprisonment and the opportunity for her and her sister to Witness to other prisoners. After the war she worked with all victims of the conflict and continued her Witnessing work.

A book of interest to students of the Holocaust or social history as well as to those of faith.
on 26 December 2013
I had never heard of Corrie Ten Boom, but came across this as a recommendation on amazon, and i'm glad I did. It wonderfully easy to read and a really amazing and honest portrayal of her life. With God at the centre of every issue and story this is a book that will stay with you long after you've finished reading. be careful, it may even change the way you think, love your neighbours and even your enemies!