Customer reviews

on 20 August 2000
This is a delightful book for any parents who are starting to wean their baby, and who have an interest in providing healthy, home cooked food for their child from the very first tastes of food and well into childhood.
The book is well set out, easy to refer to and attractive to look at. The recipes are interesting and tasty, and more importantly, quick and easy to follow. There really is no excuse after reading this book for feeding your baby commercial jars of baby food!
This book is excellent value for money, and the author fully deserves the acclaim she receives for her renown in this field. Congratulations also to Nadine Wickenden for her charming illustrations.
on 14 May 1998
This is a great book for parents who are concerned about their child's nutritional health. A line out of the book struck home, "You wouldn't feed all that processed food to the rest of your family; why feed it to your baby?" Ms Karmel offers not only easy-to-prepare recipes, but advice and meal planners (a great help with my first child when I wasn't sure what I was doing). With the help of this book, I never had to buy baby food in a jar. The recipes don't take much time and effort to prepare (great news for busy moms and dads). Her suggestion to keep individual servings in the freezer, and heat as needed worked for me! You don't have to be a health food fanatic to appreciate the virtues of good food.
on 5 June 1999
This book makes cooking baby food very easy! I buy a few organic vegetables every week, boil them, puree and presto! Healthy, nutritious baby food that my baby loves. Some of the recipes are a bit strange, (i.e. zucchini and bananas), but if the baby likes it, so be it. My only complaint is that some of the menus seem to rush the baby into new foods too quickly. My recommendation is that you only give your baby one new food at a time for at least three days. Because my husband and I did this, we were able to discern that she was very allergic to pears.
on 5 June 1999
on 16 October 1998
I happened to pick this book up at a bookstore and immediately purchased it for myself. I loved the recipes inside and immediately purchased another for my friend, who just had a baby. I love to cook for people and, in turn, love to cook for my baby as well. Karmel's recipes are very easy and my baby loves the variety. It gave me wonderful new ideas when pureed fruits and vegetables got old!
on 9 January 2010
I found the book good for basic information, although some is slightly outdated and can vary in different parts of the world. Excellent book for ideas and new recipes, I referred to it time and time again. Recommended for any new mum who (as I was!) is clueless and bewildered about this new and exciting stage in baby's life....
on 2 July 2014