Format: DVD|Change

on 4 June 2003
The Hasty Heart is an excellent drama. I think it to be one of Ronald Reagan's best and Richard Todd's portrayal of a bitter Scotsman is a tour-de-force for him. Patricia O'Neal is wonderful as the sympathetic hospital sister. All of the other "patients" in the ward also turn in very good performances. I highly recommend this film, I only wish it was available on DVD.
on 13 March 2015
Worth seeing. Almost theatrical in form since almost all acting is taking place in an army infirmary (when peace is declared after World War II, in Burma). Ronald Reagan shows he was a good actor, but not really excellent. The surprise is actor Richard Todd who received an Oscar nomination for this performance. The film is about corporal Lachlan "Lachie" MacLachlan, an injured Scottish soldier (Richard Todd), and how he reacts to being kept in the infirmary while other soldiers are sent home. He is a loner having trouble trusting other people, giving the other soldiers a hard time when they try to be nice to him. They try to be nice because they are told that "Lachie" is going to die in spite of a successful operation. "Lachie" himself believes he is well and thus becomes angry and suspicious because the doctor keeps him in the infirmary.
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The story opens in an Allied Forces hospital in Burma, 1945, on the last day of the war. Those patients who can travel are going home, but five remain (including one played by Ronald Reagan). The head nurse (Patricia Neal) tells the men that a Scottish soldier (Richard Todd) is going to be joining them and asks for their help. He has only a few weeks to live and is too ill to travel; since he has no family, she asks the men to befriend the solider in his last days - but not to tell him he's dying.

This is a touching drama with many moments of humor. The soldiers are all believable and their camaraderie is heartening. Star Richard Todd does a great job with the Scottish accent. He plays a tough, bitter man who never knew how to make friends and when he finally does shed his defenses, he "shares a moment with kings." Patricia Neal is perfect as the compassionate nurse who helps the soldier find peace. Ronald Reagan is quite likable as the wise and easy-going "Yank."

The story really made me think about what I would want were I in this soldier's predicament. To know or not to know? To try and go half-way around the globe to die in an empty house or stay among new friends? It's a wrenching dilemma whatever the decision, and the film doesn't sugar-coat it. Top-notch acting and thoughtful script. Recommended.
on 22 November 2014
This arrived on time and in good condition. These are some of my favourite actors and this was well done. The whole spirit of these was good and the story line was quite typical of the things that happened in the war.
on 30 December 2014
There is nothing better than sitting down with family and friends and thinking back to your youthful days, most notably recalling past movies that left a warm glow in your heart. I recently received this old classic, but I must confess that I could not remember the production, though I do recall it was one of Ronald Reagan's old films. After sitting through some 1hr 40 minutes of this thought provoking piece, I found myself struck with both admiration and no little emotion, I admit I shed a tear! I believe the principle actor, Richard Todd received an Oscar nomination for his role has the bullish Scotsman with a terminal illness, he was quite wonderful throughout. Mr Reagan deserves high praise too, along with the other cast members.
An emotion journey, wonderfully acted, a pure joy of a film, well deserving my 5 star rating.
on 19 April 2013
great service,great dvd! Would happily do business again anytime.Hard to find a film this good actually,very pleased with my purchase
on 29 December 2011
My wife and I watched this great film a long time ago, no matter how much we tried to get hold of it, all we could find was people trying to off-load utter rubbish copies.
Eventually we got hold of a new DVD of this film.
O.K it was region 1 from Canada, but that does not create problems these days.
Delivery was very quick, and we were very impressed
with the quality.
Thanks a Trillion, Rod and Chris, Best Wishes for 2012
on 28 May 2011
I really like this film, having seen it numerous times on terrestrial TV here in the UK. My Mum however absolutely LOVES this film, largely thanks to the gorgeous Richard Todd, whom she has always had a bit of a thing for (It's alright - my Dad is well aware of her 'crush'). But PLEASE somebody tell me when when when we can buy it for Mum on DVD? I'll never hear the last of it if I don't get this for her 70th birthday. Help!
on 2 August 2015
THIS FILM WAS FOR A NEIGHBOUR WHO HAD NOT SEEN THIS FILM FOR DECADES.SHE IS OVER THE MOON TO WATCH IT AGAIN.SMALL POINT,IT IS A SLIM DVD CASE NOT FULL SIZE.
on 12 September 2015
arrived in time for my husbands birthday......probably regret getting it because he cant stand bagpipes .....but it is a good film