on 15 March 2017
Having read the previous two novels in sequence the sub story begins to unfold . Questions left hanging from the first books begin to be answered, I'm still not sure how I feel about the books but perhaps that's what the author wants from the reader an engagement of sorts.........
Without spoiling either story line, I am a huge fan of Stuart Macbride's "Logan McRae" novels, as is (obviously) Mr Oswald. I was worried that the story lines, although obviously similar would become the same, but thankfully I was very very wrong.

The McLean books, so far, i have found to be truly compulsive reading. You have to have something that sets you apart from the raft of UK police novels, and the McLean books are well written, atmospheric, and splendidly twisty... and obviously have that whiff of the paranormal

The only very small niggle I have is that Mr Oswald tends to repeat ideas, and, they can be a bit too dark... we need some of the irony of Rebus, or the gallows humour of McRae but early days I think.

Having said that I'm just about to start No 4

P.S. read 4 and starting 5.... And, yes, Mr O seems to be finding his comic relief feet....
on 5 July 2017
The characters are developing. McLean would be a bit to boy scout apart for his interactions with his superior officers. Good follow up and ending not as predictable as I thought approaching the end. Well worth a read.
on 20 September 2014
My favourite author at the moment, I read Natural Causes by accident, and have made sure that I read the sequels as soon as they are out through pre-order.
Inspector McLean's world is so easy to get immersed in, the stories are detective stories with an edge, crossing two genres I really enjoy.
on 27 April 2017
Another exceptional storyline which I loved. If you've never tried a James Oswald book then you have been seriously missing out ; best do something about that a.s.a.p !
on 8 June 2014
I have now read all three of the (so far) series and I like the characters. It is a bit chilling in places but it has a distinction of its own, as far as police procedurals go.
on 27 January 2016
This is an excellent series. Grim but gripping stories.
on 22 June 2017
Have read the first 2 Inspector McLean books and this one is just as good. All the books rate the 5 stars. Can't wait to read the next one
on 28 June 2014
The book had three stories and it wasn't until the last few chapters it all came together and by then you had guessed whodunit plus it has no real ending
Would recommend this book to all of my friends. Riveting read, great characters, good story line, can ask for much more.