Customer reviews

on 13 April 2017
In “The Gypsy Morph” we continue the story of Logan Tom and Angel Perez, two knights of the word whose individual missions now overlap as they are tasked to protect the boy, Hawk – the Gypsy Morph – as he endeavors to guide the surviving members of the human, mutant and elven races to the promised sanctuary of his dreams, a place that will protect them through the ending of all life on earth.
But both Knights of the word are recovering from injuries sustained by facing a relentless enemy. A ruthless killer is on the hunt. The last of the human cities has fallen, and a dejected rabble of mixed survivors seems scarcely able to look after themselves, let alone face a vast army of once men and demons.
Yes, how can a new world begin if there’s no one left from the old? Juxtaposition reigns in the finale to the opening trilogy of the Shannara genesis.
While I enjoyed this concluding chapter in what will become the Shannara legend, some might find it a little lackluster in comparison to the Elves of Cintra. Why? The storyline concentrates more on the personal voyage and inter-relationships of the main characters than high action. Even so, the plot managed to retain a sense of anticipation as things crawled toward an eventual climax.
Me? I felt a little let down regarding the final confrontations with two unstoppable foes, the Klee, and the ultimate demon, Findo Gask. You’ll see what I mean.
Apart from that, however, fans of Terry Brooks will find this a welcome read.
on 28 January 2014
Spoiler Alert: After a worthwhile wait, I finally purchased the electric version. This is one of the better series the author has written. It is full of magic, adventure and the description of scenery is stunning. The ending was good, but feel there was huge scope for more and for what was left unsaid.

There is a hitch featuring Trim and where Logan Tom sees him in the storyline. The third demon is discovered, but I cannot understand why the Elven King after being shot, and having received reports back from his trackers about the once men (who would be armed with guns), would go up against an army of them with 1000 of his hunters just armed with swords, bows and arrows....it did not make sense on the part of Brooks story telling and was total suicide!! The story would have been more fulfilling and interesting if Brooks would have allowed a surviving Elven army and its King to meet up with Helen and her people. Kirisin keeping the seeking blue elfstones again would have made the story more interesting than passing them off to his sister. Irritating once again that so many interesting characters including Larkin were eliminated by Brooks so early on in the Book. There is also no further word from Brooks on the elven tracker Eliasson and his group.

This series has huge scope for more, so I hope Brooks revisits and fills in the gaps in regards to the Elves of Arborlon finding themselves in the valley and who is in succession for the Throne...Kirisin's parents? It would also be interesting to see the initial interaction of the races in their new valley and if Angel, Helen, Tom, Kirisin, Simralin and the Ghosts reunite at some point, and Hawk's return.
on 24 May 2017
Its one of them books where you want to put the book down but you can't because your afraid that you will miss something of the story line. It will keep you wondering all the time what The Gypsy Morph is going to do. I want tell you any more as it will spiel it for you. .
Having been a fan of Terry's work for a number of years I've always wondered how the world evolved into the Shanarra that we've all fallen in love with. (Especially now that Elfstones is about to be released as a major motion picture.) So having enjoyed the previous two novels I really couldn't wait to see how he'd finish this part of the epic. It's written with Terry's usual punch, its also got lots of twists with a bedevilled quest for the heroes to complete. However, that said, the characters weren't as well defined, they felt like they'd taken a step back as if they'd become more wooden as opposed to growing to the roles into which they'd been thrust. A great shame to be honest as I expect more from an established author and felt a tad let down by this drop in attention. Its still a good series, its still several notches above other authors and the twists are going to wow as well as enthral the reader however that one flaw in the book really got to me.
on 5 September 2008
In my humble opinion, this is the best trilogy that Terry has ever written, which is saying a lot, and the final book was wonderful, best of a great series. Superb character development and interaction, fabulous plot(s), amazing action, inventive story lines etc., etc. OK, you spotted that I am a die hard TB fan, but, even so, I was utterly enthralled with this final instalment. There will be no spoilers here, as you really do need to read this for yourself.

Much as I love and respect Tolkien, I do think that Terry has taken this genre to the next level and is now clearly, in my opinion, leading the field by a long way.

I really hope you enjoy this book as much as I did.

Thanks Terry, very, very much.

Regards.

Paul
VINE VOICEon 29 September 2008
"The Gypsy Morph" epitomises what Terry Brooks has consistently done with his last few Shannara series' - they always end poorly, and do not match up to the promise they showed in the earlier books.

The Gypsy Morph is just frightfully dull. We never genuinely get the feeling that this is the end of the world we're dealing with here, and there isn't a single action sequence in the book with any real drive or sense of drama. Brooks has forgotten how to write a good battle scene - the last good ones he wrote were in "First King of Shannara", which was published twelve years ago. These days, he thinks he can write a battle which is three pages long and described only in passing detail and get away with it. Well, he can't.

He also introduces his customary Sucky Assassin Villain. This is the obligatory bad guy he must have who is billed as the most dangerous killer in existence who has never failed at their job - but mysteriously is completely inept once they come into the story. In the "Heritage of Shannara" series it was Pe Ell. In the "High Druid" trilogy it was Aphasia Wye. This time it's the Klee, which was built up in the first two books of this trilogy as an unstoppable killing machine. When we encounter it, it's just useless and bizarrely has to resort to sly tricks when it's supposed to be a lethal brute, and then gets pawned without having done anything befitting its label of the "most dangerous thing ever".

Findo Gask was also a very poor villain. The man does nothing except send others to do his bidding, and scheme and scheme and scheme with no apparent purpose or long-term goal in sight. Brooks or his Internet mouthpiece, Shawn Speakman, would no doubt defend this by suggesting that it represents real "bad guys", such as bin Laden, who sits in a cave and gets others to do his dirty work for him. And that's just great. But it makes for a dreary fantasy story.

If all this sounds pretty harsh for a three-star review, it wouldn't be a surprise. I have great respect for Terry Brooks. I have met him and he's a really nice guy. And it was his books that got me into reading in the first place. And so I always have great hesitation to really slate one of his books. But in my opinion the "Genesis of Shannara" series has not been worth the time he took to write it and the time I took to read it, and this book was a particularly poor representation of a man with much greater talents.
on 15 September 2008
As a fan of all things Brooks I approached the Genesis of Shannara trilogy with more than just a little eagerness. And actually the first two books of the series lived up to my highest expectations: never had I witnessed such a natural blending of the fantasy and post-apocalyptic genres. Mr Brooks made me dream of worlds of magic and epic fights already when I was a kid, and in the pages of said trilogy he is able to make such suggestion even stronger, by drawing up a future which - in its basic outlines - could very well be our own. Needless to say I have been devouring the previous two books page after page and pre-ordered this book months in advance.

...so you can all imagine how bad I feel when confessing it left me with a sour taste in my mouth: the characters the author introduced and painted so well in the previous two books seem just to fade to flat two-dimensional figures: pale ghosts of the "real" persons with feelings, inner struggles, doubts and passions that the author so aptly created in the beginning of the series. The most annoying symptom of this is maybe the love story between two of the main characters (I won't spoil it to you), who just meet and fall in love within the span of a couple of lines. Now, I'm totally in favour of romance as a fundamental part of any novel, but this love story seemed as though it was thrown into the melee at the last moment, without any effort whatsoever to develop it properly (as Mr. Brooks proved to be capable of doing over and over).

In the same way events seem to go on almost randomly, sketched in their essential lines, seemingly happening without a proper reason, with the characters strolling almost aimlessly as badly-motivated actors following the screenplay eager to get it over with.

A shiny example of this is the powers of Hawk, as well as those of another character, which appear and disappear completely on their own, without any explanation at all given or even attempted.

Or the ending of the book, which should have been the link between a world we know well from our everyday life to the world of Shannara we learnt to know from Mr Brooks' books. It's none of that, and if you wanted to know more about what exactly did change or what happened to the powers of the old world (the Word and the Void come to mind) in the Four Lands... well, you will be disappointed (I hope such a transition will be the focus of a new book).

It's like this book was released due to a scheduled deadline, and way before it was properly polished. Don't get me wrong, what I always loved is there: love, drama, interesting plot twists and epic battles (not to mention the fact that I read the whole book in two days)... I just wish there could have been a chance for the author to polish it further in order to make a worthy ending to a spectacular trilogy.
on 28 March 2009
Firstly, I am a BIG fan of Terry Brooks and have read the entire Shannara series...more than once.

This title was a true disappointment and what a shame as it had such potential. It in no way compares to Brooks' earlier Shannara books and was much worse than the Word/Void series.

The main problem seems to be that the final book is just soooo rushed. The characters are not explored in detail, major plots are given barely a page and the story line just felt odd. For example gone are the days when Brooks would bring major battles to life, and yet in this book there were plenty of opportunities to do just that. In the end this was meant to be the book (and series) that makes sense of the whole fantasy world of Shannara and how it all began. Instead what was served up was a weak and very improbable story line, no twists, shalow characters and not much else.

Anyway I could write many more negatives but that might give too much of the story line away so lets just leave it at that. Its up to you to find out!
on 25 February 2009
With they Gypsy morph, Brooks concludes the series begun in Armageddon's Children (Genesis of Shannara) and continued in The Elves of Cintra. Brooks resolved the series well, tying up most of the loose ends that would have had most fans wondering how, why and when certain things were going to occur. However, in some instance his portrayal of events seems pat and formulaic. I wanted him to produce more excitement, to make certain battle scenes more memorable, and, frustratingly, some of the battles which we had been waiting two books for just went by more quickly and with less memorability than I would otherwise have liked.

Nevertheless, I raced through The Gypsy Morph and it provided suitable company for 20 hours of flying and stopovers. It is good action fantasy, but sometimes Brooks could have done more. I also felt that the end was a bit dull and could have been more exciting.
VINE VOICEon 14 January 2009
The Gypsy Morph seems a little out of kilter with the rest of the series. This final volume contains all the classic requirements of what makes a true Brooks story, the heart-felt challenges, the epic struggles, the fight of good vs evil and a plot which writhes like a snake, however something is amiss. For the first time we have a real sense of exactly what is going to happen and although plenty of new elements are brought in to play, there's no real gasps of surprise. The once fresh scenario of Armageddon's Children is now just the expected background, where more pointers to Shannara would have been welcome. The book is still a good read, guaranteed to be a page-turner, however it lacked the sparkle previous books have created.