Format: Audio CD|Change

on 15 November 2004
I loved the Gruffalo, but have to disagree with those who felt that the sequel was somehow lacking in magic. The Gruffalo's child is truly wonderful, with a great story, lovely use of language and absolutely incredible illustrations. I actually preferred it to the original in some ways, particularly because I felt that 'bold' children (of whom I know several!) would identify with the child in this book - seeking adventure and finding a little more than she bargained for! For those who haven't read it yet - the Gruffalo's child has grown up with stories of the Big Bad Mouse, and sneaks off to see if he really exists.
11 comment| 103 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 October 2004
This book and its predecessor, "The Gruffalo" caused quite a stir at our playgroup! Given a choice of two books at storytime, one being "The Gruffalos child" the mums all cried "The Gruffalo one"!!!
The illustrations are wonderful, with the attention to detail just as clever as the original story, which makes up for the fact, its sadly not quite as brilliant as "The Gruffalo". But nevertheless, its an all time classic in our house, loved by the children and grownups alike! How many other parents must there be who can recite the whole story by heart? Bedtime isnt bedtime without the gruffalo and that cunning big bad mouse!!
VINE VOICEon 25 April 2007
Not quite as good as the original gruffalo, but still an excellent childrens book that my son absolutely adores.

It will not make much sense if you have not read the gruffalo, so make sure you read that first before this book.

Al the same characters are there from the original book, and this is quite funny too. The illustrations are marvellous and there are some very funny drawings, like the mouses snowman that will also entertain small children.
Well, of course if you and your children loved the Gruffalo, you are going to buy this. With the same striking illustrations as the first story, and told in the same rhyming style that makes it possible for my almost three year old to join in the telling, the Gruffalo's child is another hit in our house.
All your old friends from the first book are here, the fox, owl, snake, mouse and Gruffalo (who sleeps through the whole thing!). However, there is the addition of a young girl Gruffalo who goes off on an adventure in search of the "big bad mouse" she has heard stories about. My daughter loves this "baby gruffalo".
The smartest character in the story is, of course, the mouse who may be the smallest character in the "deep dark wood" but is certainly not lacking in brain power. His way of dealing with the curious young Gruffalo has led to some fun games with shadows in our house.
This is a great story to read aloud. My two girls are 1 and nearly 3 and they both love it. It is a very good children's book, and nearly as good as the original Gruffalo story, which is saying something as sequels so often disappoint. We would probably give this four and a half stars if we could. It is very good, but not quite as good as good as Gruffalo 1.
on 9 September 2004
I couldn't wait to snap this up when I saw that there was a new title in the Gruffalo series. The first book ("The Gruffalo") is a true classic and I think I enjoy reading it to my daughter just as much as she enjoys listening to it and joining in. The style of the Gruffalo's Child is similar and the same characters appear (snake, owl, fox and mouse). The tale of the big bad mouse has become a Gruffalo legend so the Gruffalo's child decides to go go looking for him in the deep dark wood.
Written in the same rhyming style and with the same fantastic illustrations, this book is sure to delight adults and children. Maybe not quite as cool as the first book but still worth every penny of the asking price.
Buy it - you won't regret it (and the kids might like it too!)
on 4 November 2004
My daughter and I were eagerly awaiting this book -the sequel to the quite brilliant Gruffalo. The Gruffalo has been our favourite bedtime story for years and our copy is now decidedly dog-eared! I must admit that I am a little disappointed with The Gruffalo's Child -it seems to lack the originality and humour of its predecessor (much the same as in follow-up films). My daughter enjoyed the story very much and couldn't wait to turn the pages as I was reading it to her. All in all it's worth buying, but don't expect another classic!!
on 7 January 2006
My 2 year old boy sat and let me read him this book (usually he only likes the pictures and wont listen to the words, but he delighted in this one) and was able to tell the story back to me in his own little words. That was a first for us. Good book.
on 27 October 2005
My son Jack (6) read this book at school. Here are his thoughts.
"My favourite bit in this book is when the Gruffalo's child starts to worry about what is behind him... I think the story is great... I would like this book to be in all school libraries. Thank you to the author!"
on 19 March 2005
well this book came to us for christmas and now i know it off by heart. my daughter of two years 4 months is mesmorised by the gruffalo. This story really has lept off the page and has given me the chance to really start story telling the illistrations are so very good for prompting the child and reader. its not too long to read or for the child to get board, this book really is wonderfull for that after bath before bedtime period. smiles all round!
on 10 August 2015
I bought this along with 11 other Julia Donaldson Books(All Board Books). I did a lot of research before buying and building my 15 month old daughters first library along with Van Fleet, Eric Carle, Dr Suess etc. At first it was all about pictures then sounds then role play and now its the story in 12-13 months she has grown with these books and loves anything we introduce now. Each book has a 12-14 page story which gives you abundance of opportunity to spend quality time with your little one. Reading is just one of the things you can do with these. They are illustrated so very well with vibrant colours and end to end pictures that you have so much to explore if you introduce reading really young. I have copied some of the illustrations on to a A4 sheet given my daughter to color. Just buy when it says Julia Donaldson and Axel Scheffler together on a book.