on 6 July 2012
This book is touted as green yet is full of expensive products some of which contain parabens and a lot of them you dont need.
Be aware that the cosmetic industry is BIG business and these books are in themselves advertisements for products

For cleansing I would recommend you g lookle up the OCM - oil cleansing method and use this it is Castor oil with another oil usually Sunflower or Olive.
Buy microfibre cleaning cloths and use them as face cloths - a fresh cloth every day is absolutley essential NO compromise or you will just put bacteria all over your face when you reuse it - the main reason people think the OCM is not working and blame the oils when its just manky poor hygene behaviour from not using fresh cloths.
Any spots and blackheads will come out in the first six weeks after that your complexion will improve if you USE A CLEAN CLOTH each time

Toner - Apple Cider Vinegar diluted with tap water

Moisturiser - Rosehip Oil

Even for oily skin OCM and Rosehip Oil will work and not cause an oil slick as they both contain biological acids which dissolve sebum plugs and remove dead skin from the surface.If your skin is dry you could use less Castor more Sunflower/Olive in your OCM and skip the ACV toner.

I am a Critical Care Nurse and Clinical Aromatherapist.
on 8 January 2009
I have bought all of the Beauty Bibles which have come out over the years and was very excited about this one as I have made the move to more natural brands in the past year or so and wanted to see which other products might perform better than my current choices.

As many of the other reviewers have said, the products featured in the book are by no means all natural or organic, and there were very few of the 3 daisy rated products in there at all; because they only feature the items which scored the best in their consumer tests I'm not sure if this is because the testers tried the all natural products but really didn't like them, or if they were not trialled at all. Would be useful to have a run down in each category of what was actualy tested to give readers more of an idea.

I was hoping to save myself some time scouring labels for 'nasties' in the ingredients lists when shopping for products, but as many of them were only either 1 or 2 daisy rated, I ended up still having to check on the products I liked the sound of anyway to see what was actually in them before purchasing.

The section I was most interested in reading was about make up - not the authors' fault but many of the products which did well were from Origins (not really all that natural!) who withdrew their colour cosmetics range in the UK soon after the book was published. Again, I would love to know which natural/mineral ranges were actually tested as the market for these types of products has exploded recently and the same brands came up as 'winners' time & time again.

If you have only just thought about trying out more 'naturally inspired' products and would like some pointers, or have never purchased any of the other Beauty Bibles then this would be worth buying. But if like me you were hoping for a short cut to identifying as-natural-as-possible brands without the legwork then this book is not for you.
on 24 June 2008
I was looking forward to reading this book as I've been "going down" the Green route for awhile now.
The book doesn't cover enough products and very few of them are 100% natural. Yes, I did read the Daisy rating where it clearly states that not all products are of 100% origin but to me that's not good enough.

A fair amount of this book is dedicated to their friends and their products together with pretty pictures and profiles. Sure, that's interesting but I can read about these women (If I choose to, which I don't) in magazines.

Another thing that really irritated was the fact that ALL products tested weren't mentioned so that hardly leaves the reader with a huge choice so I'll continue using the products I do and carry on with my own investigations into what is and what isn't suitable for my skin. Also, I noticed a lot of the products are for more Normal/Dry skins. Where another variant was available, very few comments were made.

As Journalists I expected them to know the difference between less and few. Also, they used the phrase "trialled" ad nauseum. Sure, it's a recent addition to the OED but "trialled" is used out of context and isn't a verb. Maybe I'm just incredibly fussy when it comes to editing and proof reading of books but when a phrase or word is used so much, it gets really annoying, to the point where you end up losing the will to live, let alone finish the book.
on 3 April 2010
I bought this hoping for reviews on a wide variety of products, but they seem to be reviewing only certain brands, which make me think it's all a marketing ploy.
on 5 July 2008
I love my organic products that I use & was really looking forward to this book arriving. I was surprised at the size of the book so found it excellent value for money. I like the idea that all products were tested on women for a reasonable amount of time, it made me feel more confident in buying the products. But saying that I was VERY DISSAPOINTED that there are hardly any products with the 3 daisy rating, seeing as there are loads of products out there which come under this catagory. I was really hoping to find more testing of products from the 3 daisy products. I thought the book let me down on this as I like many other readers were hoping to find some new products without having to waste money trying them out first.
Very good but shame about the lack of organics.
on 29 May 2008
This is a lovely book to look at, great photos, nicely laid out obviously a lot of research had gone into it.

However I was disappointed in both the lack of products and the types of products tested. Liz Earle - natural?!? About as natural as Organics shampoo! Unfortunately for people who haven't researched what 'natural' is books like these reinforce the idea that a couple of herbs = natural.

The introduction does explain that not all the products will be natural but for people like me who have seen a huge improvemtn in health and skin condition since converting to 100% natural lotions and potions this isn't good enough.

I was also very disappointed to find that many of the products had already featured in their previous books.

Sarah Stacey and Jo Fairley have already converted me to Speizia cleansing balm and I'm currently waiting for my Circaroma wash to arrive but I wanted more products like that! The daisy rating is useful but it may be even more useful to list the 100% natual products tested so that I can make a decision whether to try them or not.

I didn't buy this book to "be more natural" I bought it to "be natural".
on 17 May 2008
Bravo! For all who get lost in the green beauty jungle, The Green Beauty Bible is a must-read. I am impressed with its simplicity and honesty and I love the beauty tips - very clever. The daisy ratings in the book help me to make an informed choice and perhaps the previous reviewer missed the introduction where it clearly states that not everything in the book is 100 per cent natural. This book is a triumph!
on 24 February 2011
This book is a great starting point for anyone wishing to find out a bit more about 'greening' their beauty routine. However, that is all it is.

As previous reviewers have said, a lot of the products featured are not as natural or organic as they make out, and it is clear to see that they have given a lot of page space to eulogising their friend Liz Earle and her beauty range, which is all well and good up to a point as her products are very good - but it's to the detriment of some of the 'real' natural and organic ranges out there that simply don't get a look in. There is also a feature on her too in case we'd forgotten about her, further on in the book. Interesting to note that Jo and Liz are best friends in real life.

Putting that aside there are some useful tips and hints in the book for getting the most out of your beauty products and making them multitask for you but on the whole it isn't what I was expecting and indeed quite disappointing in many ways.
on 15 May 2008
I was so tempted to purchase this book .... GREEN BEAUTY .... what promise! Just what the Dr ordered for those of us who are fed up with slapping on all those chemically loaded products in the pursuit of youth and/or beauty! Then I notice that one of the lauded ranges included that of Green Queen, Liz Earle. I fell under the spell of the promises of her particular brand of 'natural' and 'botanicals' and found myself reaching for the phone to order a comprehensive little collection from a well known shopping channel. I awaited my package and all that it promised with keen anticipation. Sadly my illusions were shattered when I discovered one product had no less than 5 PARABENS. Needless to say I didn't wait for the 30 days trial to expire before sending them back where they came from.

Now if a GREEN BEAUTY BIBLE is advocating such products they should change the title.
For those of us who really do care about what we put on our skin and into our systems let's see a bit of honesty instead of people trying to make money by falsely adopting a 'green' label.
88 comments| 41 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 January 2010
This seems pretty biased to me. A few old favorites that aren't actually "healthy/ green/ eco/ skin and environmentally friendly i.e. the usual suspects- some of which border on great contenders for greenwash badges!

There are more people getting savvy to things like not having SLES/SLS in prducts ( banned in how many US states!?!), no parabens etc... having organic ingredients, essential oils etc... What annoys me someone may buy this to guide them to inprove their current practices but this book means they aren't getting a decent picture. It is books like this that still are misleading the consumer to thinking they are being more "green", even as green as they can be WHILE looking as fab as possible- but this simply is not true. They have missed out so many great products and brands. Are they stndard journo's that are venuring into the world of "green beauty"; if they had any moral fibre they would update properly for the next book- not just rehash AND include more products with a decent daisy rating. They are out there. Or do they have too many favours to do to the mainstream beauty industry still?