Customer reviews

on 6 October 2013
I saw an article on the TV about the tapestry, and being interested in textiles & embroidery thought that the book would be a great resource as it wasn't possible to go and see the actual piece of work myself in Edinburgh before it went out on tour. The info itself in the book is good, like the TV article, but I am disappointed in the thumbnail photos of each of the panels as to be honest I was hoping to see the panels in greater detail. I suppose one option is to get a magnifying glass, but that wasn't what I had in mind, or expected to have to do...... I'm not sending the book back but I do feel that a bit more thought on the presentation of the photos of the panels should have been a priority when the book was commissioned to support the piece of artwork.
on 28 November 2013
Unlike the other reviewers, I was able to see the Great Tapestry exhibition, albeit very briefly, so I have been looking forward to getting both books produced on the project as they would enable me to learn more about the people involved, as well being able to pore over the panels in better detail.

This book does exactly what it says on the tin - it is the story behind the Tapestry, it's the story of the Making of a Masterpiece, and very well done it is indeed. I had no idea just how difficult is must have been to coordinate a project of this scale, with so many elements that could have gone wrong!

The vision of those involved is incredible, as is the hard work put in by the sitchers, and this lovely wee book tells their story in wonderful detail.

What the book doesn't do is show every panel in detail, but nor does it claim to. In fact, there is another book, a gorgeous hardback by the same publisher, which does do this.

So if you're looking for the story on how this amazing project came about, go for this book. If you want to see every panel as well as the history that goes with it, get the hardback. Or if you're feeling really flush, get them both!
on 11 December 2013
The Great Tapestry of Scotland was an inspired idea. It brought together groups of enthusiasts from all over Scotland to create what is a stunning artwork. The large panels, designed by the artist Andrew Crummy, were stitched by people from all over the country and all walks of life, some of whom had barely wielded a needle before.

The 140 panels of the tapestry create a panorama of Scottish history, all of which are displayed in the book. The refreshing aspect of the whole thing is that it moves beyond tartanry, and the hackneyed themes we all know so well, to show the lives of ordinary men and women who have lived in Scotland through the ages.

Each spread of the book shows in large detail one of the panels, and the facing page, written lucidly by Alistair Moffat, tells its engaging story. I was lucky enough to see the exhibition of the finished tapestry a few weeks ago, and was surprised that tears came to my eyes. I couldn't resist buying the book, and sat over it for hours until I had turned every page.

Highly recommended.
on 4 May 2014
I saw and visited the tapestry of Scotland when it was in Aberdeen 5 times and wanted a momento of the occasion. I was very pleased with the book that I purchased from Amazon, as I was able to study the pictures of the tapestries in more detail as the venue that the exibition was held in was very crowded and you could not see them at their full glory. After receiving the book Tapesty of Scotland I studied the tapaestries and went back again to the venue where the exibition was held an was able to study the pieces that I wshed to see in more detail.
This book is a must for anyone interested in the history and culture of Scotland.
on 11 July 2014
The only review of better than this book is to view the tapestry itself, which took me 3 days visiting. Page by page it illustrates every panel of the art-work.The accompanying text is a wide-ranging summary of the history of Scotland - without discernible bias! It rewards dipping into to remind one of forgotten, or unknown, events, and to marvel at the imaginative interpretation by Anrdew Currie. Only the skill of the multitude of needleworkers is perhaps less clear than the original. It will stay to hand ready to be seen by all my visitors unenlightened enough not to have made visit to the real one.
on 18 December 2017
A present for mum-in-law at Christmas so she hasn't seen it yet, but can't see how she would be anything but thrilled with the book, especially as she was a huge fan of the tapestry having seen it on exhibition. Lovely big book, with clear beautiful illustrations. Just what you want to see the detailed work of the tapestry.
on 9 November 2013
Like another reviewer, I, too, was unable to go and see the tapestry with my own eyes. I happen to know someone who was involved in the embroidery of one panel and felt it would be nice to honour her work by purchasing this book. It is a beautifully made book with exquisite colours and a gorgeous cover. It is also a lovely document and testament to everyone involved. But I would have loved to see the actual tapestry in its finished state, perhaps as a fold-out insert, so I am a bit disappointed to see only some small images and some of the panels either only as sketches or partially finished embroidered works.
on 1 December 2013
When I went to see this mind-boggling piece of work on display at Cockenzie House in East Lothian, I had no expectation whatsoever of buying the book. I had no idea how fascinating the work would be. It needed hours of viewing and reading to appreciate and by the end of it, not having done the real thing anything like justice, I couldn't bear to leave without buying a copy for further study.
The book is fascinating. My husband can't put it down either as it is packed with historical information.
The panels, the concepts and the history are all part of the whole and I felty privileged to meet some of the many, many people who helped to make it. They must be proud, and I think in generations to come, people will be honoured to say that they were related to them! I started off thinking it was far too expensive. I ended up parting with the money gladly. I feel I got a bargain for the pleasure we will have.
on 7 August 2014
The Great Tapestry of Scotland
The 140 panels were sewn by a thousand stitchers, basing their work on the beautiful designs created by Andrew Crummy. The tapestry celebrates the story of Scotland, the highs and lows and the tapestry certainly celebrates Scotland. This book is a wonderful, it is lavishly illustrated with photographs of the whole tapestry. What an inspired idea, in a way like Stained Glass telling the story of the bible in Medieval Churches, the tapestry is like following a cartoon strip and really gives a quick guide to Scottish history. A real pleasure.
on 21 December 2013
As one of the many embroiderers of this stunning Scottish Masterpiece, I simply had to include the book that has been written about it, in my private library.
The photos of each panel of this tapestry are beautiful and very clear, giving a pictorial insight into Scottish History from 'day one' and into the future, without political views. 'The Great Tapestry of Scotland' is also written very well, taking us through every process of the development of this enormous tapestry project, from the first idea was born to the completed masterpiece.
This book makes a wonderful gift.