on 10 April 2010
I agree with the previous reviewer about the lack of depth in this textbook. But Stephen Law is a very clear writer and his accessible and imaginative style makes the book very useful for A/S and A2 students of Philosophy and the Philosophy of Religion. It is the kind of introductory work that will hopefully inspire students at this level (and the general reader) to go on to explore the ideas of the philosophers mentioned in more detail. It can also be enjoyed for its own sake. And so - all in all - I would certainly recommend it (though the full price of the hardback edition does make it an expensive acquisition and so I would opt for a cheaper used or new copy off this website).
on 6 January 2014
I have always been into philosophy, but this is a great book for people putting a toe in the water as it covers a range of philosophers. I like the way Stephen Law examines the different theories and some of his examples are very thought provoking and perfectly logical.
on 16 February 2014
The book is treasure specially for those who are new to philosophy like myself. It is very difficult to explain philosophical ideas in plain language but Stephan Law has done it in an extraordinary way. I recommend this book as must-have in your library or book collection.
on 4 August 2009
Although normally a fan of Mr Law, I found there just was not enough meat in this book. He covers most of the key philosophers, but only devotes a miserly 2-3 pages to each : Plato; Aristotle; Hume - in 3 pages? I don't think so! You're much better off going back to Betrand Russell's epic "History of Western Philosophy" in my humble opinion I'm afraid
on 11 November 2013
Very simple to understand. All ideas are explained in simple terms which makes it accessible to those new to philosophy
on 12 October 2015
Very informative and great info to some fantastic minds we are lucky to study.
on 10 November 2014