on 2 December 2012
This is the third book I have read by Alex Connor and although the first two were great, this book is brilliant! The start is a little bit gruesome, but once you put that aside the story unfolds into an amazing mix of historical facts and fictional intrigue. It is obvious that Ms Connor has done her research, as with her previous two works. Every so often I would be so interested in the background to this story that I would look up the life of Goya on the Internet, wanting to learn more.

I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who loves a great thriller which is cleverly written and not run of the mill. I hope there will be more of the same to follow.
13 people found this helpful
on 24 December 2016
I discovered this author very recently and have now downloaded three of her books in rapid succession thoroughly enjoying every one. This book is yet another page turner and well worth five stars.
So impressed with Alex Connor's books, I have already downloaded a fourth which I feel sure will be as good as the ones already read.

AnOn
on 1 November 2013
I had this book on my Kindle for a while and hadn't got round to reading it. Being stuck on the rush hour train from Manchester I delved into my phone to see what I could read and came across Unearthing the Bones. I was immediately drawn in and after finishing this short story (& taster for the main event)I launched straight into Memory of Bones. A great read. The Goya angle was fascinating and, like other reviewers, I felt compelled to read up on Goya from other sources. Alex Connor obviously knows her stuff and it certainly doesn't feel like somebody has done some quick research for a book. You feel that the author is also immersed in art and its mysteries. Having reviewed Alex Connor before I mentioned the freshness of the Art World as a backdrop for the genre and I continue to enjoy the writing and setting. An interesting journey between Madrid, London and New York and the enigma of Goya and the Black Paintings. I had to suspend belief at one point when I felt frustration at Ben not involving the police when his character to that point suggested he should. However his actions better served the plot and suspense and for that I can forgive this.

One point I'd like to make (and I've made this before on other reviews) is that I noticed errors in the print of the Kindle version. Are these not properly proof read? Just a minor annoyance and not to take anything away from the great writing by Alex Connor. I'll be reading more of these.
on 29 April 2014
I enjoyed this more than the Rembrandt Secret. Again Connor has provided a thorough background to the artist Goya's life which I found fascinating. This provides the crux to the plot as Leon tries to solve the mysteries around some of Goya's paintings and an artifact relating to the painter. Once again the in-fighting of the art world causes a string of tragic events.The relationship between the brothers, Ben and Leon, is well defined and Leon's decline into mental instability is all too believable. Ben's desperation and frustration is tangible as events drag him into a frightening cycle of threats and murder. This fraternal relationship is neatly contrasted with that of the Ortega brothers, whose wealth and family traditions does nothing to instill brotherly love. Although the story is ostensibly a thriller about the possession of Goya related artifacts, its subtext is the relationship between the two sets of brothers and how they treat their partners.
on 24 November 2017
Kept me guessing,very intriguing, knew a little about Goya and his skull, but to read a fictional story around this was fascinating kept me turning the pages
on 19 April 2017
I enjoyed this book. It held my attention and drew me back when I had to attend to other matters.
on 27 February 2014
Read this after reading Unearthing the Bones, it follows on the story.
I have been a lifelong reader, Kindle the best thing since the invention of ink and paper, but I have only recently started reviewing the many many books I have read and not sure what to write that is different to if you enjoy this genre, then check out this author.
on 23 March 2013
This is the story of two brothers and a skull found which was thought to belong to Goya which if correct would have made it very valuable indeed. As a result there is a lot of intrigue and murder. The book maintains its tension throughout so is a good read as a thriller. It also gave me a lot of information about Goya which I did not know about.
I thoroughly enjoyed it and would recommend it.
on 27 February 2013
This had an interesting storyline and enough twists and turns to keep it readable. Although l knew nothing of the subject, it seemed viable. The characters are well written, the main 2 as brothers are very realistically written as being very different but also corrective too. The peripheral characters all save a proper role and not simply filling space. I will try more books by this author. There were several pages missing near the beginning, but I was still able to keep the gist of what was happening quite well, I hope that your enjoyment is not spoiled by this minor problem.
on 19 August 2014
This was the third book I have read by Alex Connor and I must say I am completely hooked to this author!!! In fact I read three books in a week because I really could not put them down...and missed some serious sleep....good job I was on leave from work!!! This is my favourite book (so far) because the turns in the plot really enticed me. A recommendation from me...can't wait to get stuck into the Bosch Deception. Keep writing Alex I will still read!!!!