Learn more Download now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle New Album - Tokio Myers Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's

on 17 June 2004
I am a first year PhD student (pure research and no taught modules or recommended reading) and found this book to be really helpful for getting started with the basics, even though I have already chosen my research method and proposal. It comes in small bite-size chunks with a few gems to get you thinking. I'm a 'get it done quick' kinda girl, so this was great for my style of 'action' learning. If you're more of a deep thinker, this may not be for you.
on 11 March 2015
Excellent book on reseach
on 25 July 2012
I was given this book by a well meaning person to help with my dissertation. Not being a book person I intially just ran around in circles getting stressed and feeling overwhelmed about my dissertation and didnt look at book. Finally, in desperation I flicked through the book. The first thing to say is: Its sectioned in SUCH A GREAT WAY that you dont waste time having to scan read, great ! Once I found titles that jumped out at me, I scan read but found before I knew it I was engrossed and already feeling clearer about the whole thing - you dont need to stare at the book for hours - this is great when your panicking against a deadline. The info was concise, no fancy words, clear concepts and instruction that are FOOL PROOF. Lastly, having qualified I am now a freelance reseacher - my first project I grabbed for this book to gudie me on writing my first ever paid report !!! It literally saved my skin as again I had been overwhelmed. It produced a successful and proffessional report and I go my fist pay check !! BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT !!! Its FABULOUS :-) Good luck
on 3 April 2009
If you can only justify buying one research book, then I recommend this one. It is a gem for anyone undertaking small-scale research. I am currently writing a dissertation and have found this to be the most accessible of my books on the methodology, etc. of research. The book is written in a very user-friendly style - which cannot be said of some of the other similar books I have bought. Fantastic for useful quotes and information to actually assist you when planning, undertaking and writing up the research project. Well worth every penny!
on 17 February 2013
I bought this for my postgraduate dissertation having read the reviews. However, I soon realised that it just wasn't enough: it didn't add anything to the books I have already. If I'd been approaching a research project for the first time then I'm sure I would have found this book a very useful summary. If you want something a little more in depth then I'd recommend John Biggan's 'Succeeding with your Master's Dissertation' (also from the Open UP Study Skills imprint) and Doing Postgraduate Research by Stephen Potter.
on 15 August 2001
One of the recommended course texts for the course I am on, and has been worth every penny! It contains some useful checklists, and although not an exhaustive text on qualitative research, it has been very useful.
on 17 November 2010
Excellent introduction to research methodologies and methods. If you need a quick and accessible overview of most (if not all) social science methodologies, this is the book you need. It is really well set out and uses all the modern writing/publishing tricks to make reading easy: clear headings, lists, comparisons, bullet points, graphics, inserted quotations, chapter overviews, cross-referencing, FAQ, and checklists. (This is NOT a dry boring rambling academic text.) A good bibliography is also included so you know where to go next for more in-depth information too.
on 11 February 2012
Recommended. Presents the subject in a straightforward, no nonsense way. I found it very useful when putting together my Research Proposal for my Masters. Complements other texts very well.
on 3 December 2009
A marvellous companion for small scale qualitative research studies. As a first-time researcher I found this an invaluable asset. Can highly recommend this text.
on 24 March 2011
This book is excellent for any novice researcher like myself. I needed it for an assignment and I used this as one of my key reference books.