on 28 August 2013
I have recently had my first born daughter and this book was invaluable in preparing for labour. I followed the advice (having read and re-read the book several times on my phone using the kindle app) whilst in labour and can honestly say it helped! I had a very quick labour with only a bit of gas and air and use of a tens machine (again invaluable!) and although it was painful (there is no denying it or getting away from it - having a baby hurts, a lot!) I look back on my labour with only good positive memories. A must read as far as I'm concerned!
on 18 February 2015
I love this book, it really helped me not worry about the birth for my first pregnancy and has helped even more in my 2nd as am more nervous. It is a honest true account and mirrors what is said by my hypno birthing cd and my yoga teacher. I have lent this book out and recommended it to everyone I know expecting. It helps you prepare and put the birth inot focus. It is geared around natural birth but not overly pushy and does explain other forms also.
on 9 May 2017
It explains whole process stage by stage and gave me the confidence to deliver naturally. I just wish I'd had time to read it again.
on 11 May 2017
Loved it!
on 4 July 2017
Cannot recommend this book highly enough, both informative and inspiring.
on 30 January 2017
Read this book while pregnant with 2nd child. Brilliant! The section on active birth particularly helpful and the positive attitude and mindset. Had a 5 hour labour for 2nd and only used gas & air for the pushing stage in last 30 mins as tips from this book and keeping active and upright helped cope with the pain and quicken the labour. Also gives tips on how to prepare while pregnant.
on 12 November 2013
Being pregnant with my first child i thought that the midwife and NHS would be really informative, warm and nurturing how wrong was I. I felt more like i had an illness i was being medically reviewed for instead of being prepared for the miracle of birthing a human being. i got this book after my friend told me to not let the midwife dictate how my pregnancy and labour/ birth and make sure that i did it my way. So i hunted online for a bit of support and found this treasure.
It is a bit repetitive but it gave me the additional nudge i needed to stand my ground and have what I wanted. I must admit i never attended antenatal classes so some of the book was a bit redundant for me but the majority was incredibly empowering especially when your naturally drained and tired at the beginning and end of your pregnancy the added support this gives you really made me feel better about my impending labour and birth. My partner also found it useful.

i would certainly suggest this for first time mums and any lady who's feeling a little less then happy about the lack of options being presented to her. Remember it is YOUR baby YOUR labour.
on 9 January 2014
I have almost finished reading this book and have been unable to put it down since it arrived. It has lots of useful information and has really got me thinking about what type of birth I would like and how I can use different methods to cope when I am in labour. I am currently 31 weeks pregnant with my first and this book has really prepared me for some of the events that may happen during my labour. It is informative and written in a way that makes you feel comfortable and at ease even when it talks about some of the more nitty gritty parts of labour and birth. The only reason I am not giving the book a rating of 5 is because it very much promotes active labour and a natural birth and sometimes this isn't always an option. Although it does cover a section about intervention and when intervention may be necessary I think it would be more useful if they went into a bit more detail about why these may be needed and how you can expect to feel afterwards (for example when a forceps delivery might be needed and how it will affect you and the baby after the birth).
on 9 January 2012
I am due to give birth in 2 weeks and have read this all the way through once and I am now reading through the labour stage sections for a second time.

I was a quivering wreck after my first antenatal class, feeling incredibly nervous and unprepared. The next day I went out to a local bookshop and purchased this book. Within just a few pages it managed to calm me and has made me believe that I will be able to be in control and as far as is possible have the natural birth I want.

I would recommend this to anyone who is due to give birth. I assumed I'd need to read lots and lots of books to give me that peace of mind but I have only ready this one and don't have any unanswered questions. It is a very honest book which is easy to read and doesn't assume anything about each expecting mother. Nor does it pressurise the reader in to a particular kind of birth.

I cannot recommend it enough!
on 4 September 2014
In general this is a great book with lots of practical info and psychological advice to get you through the birthing process. The only reason I am giving it four instead of five stars is that the author for some bizarre reason blames "feminism" for the rise in posterior fetal positioning (which makes labor longer and harder and more likely to lead to interventions). The reasons babies turn posterior mainly have to do with the mother's posture and activity levels, which are linked much more closely to a postindustrial sedentary lifestyle (sitting back in front of the tv or in comfy office chairs) than to the political emancipations of feminism. Women are still doing the majority of the housework etc that the author claims help to turn the baby anterior (ie into a more optimal position) so blaming the rise in less-than-optimal fetal positioning on feminism is unsupported by evidence and just absurd.