Customer reviews

The Getaway
Format: Paperback|Change

on 21 April 2017
Ed Vere is a great chidren's author and this book is another fine example of simple ideas that engage children.
Following a session with Ed Vere on 'Authors Live', my pupils created their own versions of these books!
on 9 July 2017
A bit too complicated for my group 2-3 better for 4-5
on 20 June 2017
My 5 yr old son loved this book
on 4 August 2010
My wife and I have been reading this, among others, to my soon to be one year old daughter. As is the case with the majority of children's books when reading aloud the fun is to be had in giving the characters their voice. For the part of this books' (anti)hero, Fingers McGraw I slip into a kind of bizarre Bronz accent (I don't know why really, it just felt right) plus I can pretend I'm James Cagney (which is odd but again feels right). Our daughter loves the varied characters that emerge in the telling of the story. The majority of pages are bright and bold and the way Ed Vere plays with the techniques used to bring the tale to life is a lot of fun. I think we'll be reading this for quite a while and highly recommend it to others.
on 27 March 2009
another fabulous book by Ed Vere. My 2 year old son loves the pictures and we enjoy reading it to him. Keep em coming Ed
on 16 May 2014
After reading MR BIG to my children the logical step was to find another Ed Vere book. The story takes a unique slant attempting to engage the audience and bring them into the story. In comparison to MR BIG this falls short but it is still a good book with excellent art work.
on 7 July 2014
As I said before my children are massive Ed Vere fans, we have all his books apart from banana one which I am not sure what's the point of just pictures. Anyway - this story would go well for any boy or adventures girl;) love the language and pictures are great as always
on 2 August 2013
Brought for my 5 year old boy - he loves this book - but will only let Dad read it to him - I think his New York accent is better than mine! Good story, fun characters, good interaction for the children, lovely illustrations.
on 14 September 2014
I have bought Mr Big, a book by Ed Vere before and my grandchild loves it. I thought I would buy this one and this one is very imaginative and I am sure will be a favourite read.
on 17 April 2011
My 7 years old boy learn about this book from school. Funny and modern with words and illustration! Reality testing for the children!