VINE VOICEon 2 October 2012
The Fourth Megapack is even better than its predecessors, bringing together some of the great stories of that golden age of SF following the last war, with some more recent tales. The best in an outstanding list is MacLean's `Pictures Don't Lie', one of those unique stories that stays with you many years after you have read it. The pacing of her narrative is excellent, and the tension is ratcheted up until the very unexpected ending. One of my top SF shorts. Asimov's `Youth' takes a similar road, telling the story of two boys with a secret they are keeping from their elders, with a final twist that reminds one that Asimov also excelled as a mystery writer.

The late Harry Harrison is represented by an old fashioned suns and spaceship novella-length adventure story that transfers the contemporary Cold War to an interplanetary confrontation with nuclear war imminent. In addition to the action, he has created two fascinating worlds, the desert planet of Dis, and Brion's home planet, with its eccentric orbit that gives a very brief summer and a long, cold winter and imposes an unusual lifestyle on its inhabitants

The imagination is stretched in Larry Hodge's mind-numbing story of a lone individual playing the role of god in his universe, while Wollheim' s `Storm Warning' queries the assumption that aliens would be visible to the human eye. The editors of this collection have added a fair quotas of comic tales, from Philip K Dick's `Beyond Lies the Wub', another personal favourite, to E C Tubb's black comedy about two space bums - turn back to the title after you have read the story.

A winner.
on 2 August 2013
I bought this because the price was cheap and the reviews positive. Clearly everyone has their own views, but I struggle to see how anyone could give this more than 2 stars! To my mind far too many of the stories are substandard, barely worth one star, while only a few stand out as being worth a second read.

Looking at the start of the book, it is very clear that there is a very odd mix of original publication dates: 6 from the 1940's, 7 from the 1950's, 1 from the 1960's (1961 actually) and then nothing until the year 2000! There are 10 stories from this century.

Of the stories I most enjoyed, 4 were from the 40's and 50's and 3 from post 2000, so I am not saying that the old stuff is rubbish and only recent ones any good.

The stories I enjoyed were Food for Friendship, Storm Warning, Wild Seed, the Eyes of Thar, Regeneis, Living Under The Conditions and Youth.

I hate to pick on one story as being the worst, but I have to say that Tiny and the Monster was truly dreadful - a dog (Tiny) that communicates with it's owner and an alien! Yuk!!

On the basis of this book I won't be buying anymore from this series.
on 9 May 2017
A good selection of some short sf stories, and some not so short. For me I enjoy these tales when I can't decide which "proper" book to read. Not all of these stories are good, but there are enough gems to make the others seem worthwhile. For me the standout tale was Sense of obligation.
on 7 March 2018
Short, punchy stories from a past era when economy of writing was paramount, going hand in had with a good idea. Compare with today's equivalent, big flabby stories with too many words and not enough idea. Choose which you prefer..
on 20 December 2012
I absolutely love 40's, 50's and 60's sci-fi.
This book is crammed full of both old and new SF.
All the stories are intelligently written and each one is gripping in it's own right. Some, inevitably, better than others, but all are readable and enjoyable.
Only downside is the Harry Harrison short story "Sense of Obligation" has also been published in novel form as "Planet of the Damned", which I had only recently re-read, so I just skipped over it in this collection!
However, I loved this book so much that when I finished, I immediately bought the first collection in this series and will continue until I have them all!
on 6 March 2014
Although it contains some longer very enjoyable stories it does have some stories (thankfully short) that totally fail in either being enjoyable or thought provoking. It is worth reading for the more well written works but you get the impression that some of the reproduced stories were not read by the editor before being inserted in this compilation.
on 29 April 2018
Old style Science Fiction short stories, takes me back 60 years!
on 14 April 2013
I bought this book which was recommended on my Kindle, because l like science fiction and it was cheap.
I usually prefer full length novels, but thought that this would make a change. I found some of the stories quite good, but others were unsatisfying.
I would recommend this book to those who like a quick read, but I will be buying novels in future.
on 30 April 2014
I have used this product for the last six years and found it extremely good. However, the 2014 version user interface is absolute rubbish compared to previous versions, hence the missing fifth star. I don't know why they have done this, maybe to save space on the disc for new (and chargable) options. It still does all the basic stuff perfectly well but shame about the user interface.
on 15 September 2016
Classic stuff. Hard core classic stories from some past greats. Some not so good but the seeds of many a modern classic film.