on 27 July 2015
I really enjoyed this book. I enjoyed escaping into the period and the lives of the four sisters who are daughters of the vicarage. So much so that I plan to read it again. I have been a fan of D.E.Stevenson for years and wonder how this book managed to escape me. The only fault I can find and that is not with the story but the cover illustration, although lovely, it misled me into thinking it was set in the twenties when it is set towards the end of the Second World War.
on 30 May 2006
I probably would have read this book at least half a dozen times by now, I can't even remember where I bought it other than it is definetly second-hand. The story is a simple one of a typical English parochial family. The book centres around the Grace family in the earlier part of the second world war. The father, Mr Grace, is the vicar of Chevis Green, he has four daughters and the story rotates around the family and the visitors they have, both welcome and unwelcome! The relationships between the villagers and the general dialogue is an abolute pleasure. The story doesn't actually focus much on the war rather on the simplicity of these peoples lives. Although the book is not particicularly long, I simply do not want it to come to and end, which is why I have read it over and over again...
on 18 January 2015
I bought this book for my Mother in England. I live in California and it is wonderful to be able to order a gift for her, know she will love it and receive it very quickly. Whenever I talk to her, she tells me a little more about the book and how much she is enjoying it. I read all the 'Miss Buncle" books, by the same author. They were interesting and thoroughly enjoyable, quite surprisingly so. D E Stevenson's books are set in the first half of the twentieth century and they reflect that, with fascinating characters woven into an enjoyable book.
on 8 October 2015
...from this lovely writer. All the usual ingredients are there, a tightly managed plot, well-rounded characters and a solid setting for the story but this novel is laugh aloud funny and has a most satisfavtory 'villainess'.
on 17 April 2016
This is a good book well written by the original author but catastrophically copy edited by an idiot American. There are jarring Americanisations on almost every page eg in 1930s England the word 'gas' was NEVER used for petrol, Marigolds were not harvested- maybe mangel worzels (fao Americans these are a type of turnip) were! and so many other howlers appeared. The usual 'candor' for candour sort of misspelling too. Also the quite ghastly 'gotten' was liberally strewn about. Poor DE Stevenson must be spinning in her grave!
Loved reading this well loved author and will enjoy it again in years to come.
on 23 September 2014