The Art and Making of Star Wars Force Unleashed brings you behind the scenes into the game development process, while staying close to artists' drawing boards.

This book is choked full with breathtaking concept art, character designs, diary entries and screenshots from the game. It features over 300 pieces of art work in 168 pages. On two pages are pasted paper pockets, with each containing 5 character cards.

If you've owned the "art of" series for the Star Wars movies, expect the same high quality environment paintings. But this one goes up one notch with beautiful page layouts. It's the art magazine type of layout, so the every page design is essentially art in itself. Great effort from the book designers.

The 6 chapters in the book explains the game creation process in depth. That's from the development of a concept, to the pitch and approval stage, next to character studies, then environment and finally the technology behind.

There are lots of nitty gritty details that you won't read on Internet interviews. The authors bring you to the cutting floor and let you read all about the discarded ideas.

After reading the book, you'll literally feel like you've worked with these people (most probably as an intern).

For Star Wars fans, you have no reasons not to get this book. For people interested in concept design and animation, this book has lots of insight for you. This book is a great source of inspiration.

Be careful of the binding though. The part where the cover meets page 1 seems like they will come apart in the future. Easily fixed by pasting some clear tape to fix the problem before it develops.

There are more pictures on my blog. Just visit my Amazon profile for the link.
on 22 September 2008
The book itself is awesome! Really good quality and nice scans. Even if you just want to see nice pictures and paintings worths buying it!
Sadly my one damaged during shipment, for others I suggest to contact amazon to send it packaged more secure than they did to mine.
Great book for every fan!
on 14 September 2015
The book is beautiful with fantastic artwork in it as well as a great commentary on the production process. However as a couple of other users have stated the binding on the book seems to fall off very quickly, mine only lasting a day or two.

This doesn't present too much of a problem though as a quick dab of glue will fix it just fine. Overall I love it, it's one of my favourite concept art books out of the many I own.
on 16 July 2009
Great book for lover of Starwars and Concept Art. It shows a wide perspective of the kind of work that is needed for making this video-game.
on 8 April 2010
Right, my major gripe - this book falls apart! With the first one I got from Amazon the pages fell off the spine after a month or so, so I asked for a replacement. This I got, however it suffers the same problem! And if you read Parka's video review, they state the same problem...so it seems to be a manufacturing issue. I just don't get why they go to all the trouble of making a well put-together book only to use cheap glue which does not work!

Anyway, onto the content. Its ok, well organised, there are nice pieces of lush locations such as Kashyyyk and Felucia, and some other cool bits and bobs, but nothing truly SPECIAL. There's a lot of mundane stuff in there too. Also, read the title! The Art and MAKING OF The Force Unleashed...there's much on how they made the game etc, some of which is interesting, such as unused storylines, but a bit too much for my liking.

I did actually get the game after reading this book, but wasn't much impressed with that either! I'd say the game lacked coherency, the book lacks content. Overall I'd say worth a look if you can get it for a tenner.