Format: Paperback|Change

on 10 April 2013
Having read the review about this book in British Wildlife along with an interest in Scotland and Natural History I was tempted into buying this book and I am glad that I did.Whilst roughly half the book is about commercial fishing it proved to be well written and thus was diifficult to put down. The remainder of the book was even more fascinating covering land reclaimation,sewage disposal and wildlife,especially my favourite bird...the Gannet.
Do not be put off by the fact that the book is paperback because it is of good quality with plenty of black and white photographs inserted into the text along with 8 pages of colour photographs in the middle. I was going to pass the book but it is so good that I will be keeping it.
on 8 March 2013
This is an immensely readable and scholarly work. So much detail, so much research. Prof. Smout has a real ability to write an academic text that appeals to the lay reader and brings history to life. If you know the area well, then reading this book will show you an entirely new dimension to the environment of the Forth that you'd never have noticed on a daily commute.
on 24 August 2013
beautifully produced and the photos are so useful and beautiful I love this book! And it includes St Andrews my home town and I remember when the one fishing boat there caught 1 cran of fish a day.
on 22 January 2014
Fascinating to find out about the history, sociology and ecology of places we know so well. Very well written and readable.