Format: Paperback|Change

on 22 September 2001
Although this book moves away from typical Coelho writing it is still a fantastic book. This should not be compared to The Alchemist or Veronika decides to die , or other Coelho books you may have enjoyed . The story bases itself on the struggle of one man between his heart and his faith . As with all Coelho's books this one has an underlying message and it's there for you to find or perhaps make your own up. Read it as a book in itself and don't compere it to others. I enjoyed this book as much as all the others i have read and although it is different it is still a worthy read.
on 3 October 2000
Paulo has near enough always embarked on a religious theme within this book & this book is no different. It is a story about a Prophet in the troubled land of Jeruselum who is forced into a small village & taken in by a widowed women. At first the village people perceive him as an intruder but after bringing back to life the son of the widow & surviving his execution he becomes the villages wise man & salvation. It is a lovely story with a strong religious theme. I like Paulo's books & this is also good but no way as good as 'The Alchemist' which is one of my all time favourite stories.
on 7 March 2005
Paulo Coelho writes beautifully, and it's very easy to get swept up in his prose, but I felt that this time there was something rushed in his storytelling.

More overtly religious and less poetic than his other books I've read (The Alchemist, Veronica Decides to Die, Eleven Minutes), and although the usual faith-hope-justice theme was present here too, the story here was less meandering, the twists and turns here were more abrupt, and his hero's efforts seemed to me to be to a large extent futile.

Having said that, I read this book in almost a single sitting and definitely enjoyed reading it, but it didn't make me feel inspired or elated like some of his previous works.

(I'd rate it three-and-a-half stars if I could.)
on 29 December 2014
A good read, especially if you know the scripture story of Elijah. It's interesting to hear Coelho's 'slant on it: brings the character to life with a range of human emotions that enabled me to identify with him. Worth a read.
on 5 January 2001
the other reviewer seems to under rate this book i have read it and have loved it as i have with all of coelhos books.this story may have many simalaritys with the bible but the poetic way paulo write defines it this story is not just a tale about the profits journey it is about the strugle between his faith and the duty he has towards his country and the feeling of being an outsider to his world .as all paulos books this has the power to inspire.the genius of coelho shine through in this book as i read the more i believed that this was an actual event in history and not many authors have the ability to make their story seem vivid but paulo certainly has.well done. Hannah Dykes..
on 28 September 2011
I loved this book. I will be vilified by saying I preferred it to the alchemist. Great story of putting reality to these bible characters. Demystifying the prophet was brilliant. Great read and highly recommended even for non Coelho fans.
on 27 May 2002
I would like to thank the author for clarifying a number of confusing and conflicting thoughts, emotions and events within my spiritual developmment with God. I found immense strength in the dillemas in which Elijah found himself - his indecisiveness mirrors my own, but the important truth lies with true faith in the ability of God. Coelho successfully brings to life the biblical experience and allows us to parallel with old testament lives steeped in law yet showing us how faith can break the curses of such law. cheers.
on 30 May 2011
THe Fifth Mountain reminds me more of the Alchemist than most of Paulo Coelho's books. I loved it for its deep spirituality and Christian background mixed with Babylonian beliefs really. I enjoyed it immensely. It had some really poignant moments of self-discovery aswell.
on 22 August 2013
...I remember well the feeling reading it of being unable to put the book down. Paul reveals a deep study of the life and times of the prophet Elijah and millions of believers can benefit from his insights and research whilst enjoying all the thrills of this based-on-true-life story! It isn't primarily a religious tale but rather a powerful human drama.
on 10 July 1999
A brillant book, not as easy to read as the Alchemist, but with a much more sofisticated and interesting plot. I read the French version.