on 2 September 2015
This is a great story for 11-12 year olds - historical and a personal perspective woven around the plague and the great fire of London only a year later. My copy was also signed by the author which I was not expecting from a second hand book. Thanks.
on 4 December 2015
great book
on 6 December 2017
Bought this for my granddaughter after she became interested because an extract from it was used at her school. My daughter is reading it to her and is enjoying it herself. The only reason I have not given 5 stars, is the suggested reading age seems too young, it is, not unexpectedly, very sad in places and I feel an age of 10 would be more appropriate
on 12 July 2009
I decided to do the omnibus edition of this book (or these books) because I couldn't be bothered to faff around with pictures and updates and this is the copy of them that I own.

In At the sign of the sugared plum: Hannah has made her way to London to help her sister Sarah in her sweetmeats shop, The Sugared Plum, but Hannah does not get the warm welcome that she was expecting, she did not get the messages to stay away for the plague has taken hold of London...

In Petals in the ashes: Hannah has returned to London after the gruesome plague epidemic to reopen the shop with her younger sister, Anne. But things start to go pear shaped for Hannah, for the Great Fire is starting to burn London to the core...

I really enjoyed these books; they had interesting facts, a nice clean romance and good description. One of the best Mary Hoopers.
3 people found this helpful
on 18 November 2006
I bought this book at the airport, not realising that it was for teenager readers rather than adults. Well I had nearly finished it by the time I got off the plane (it was only a short flight), so if it is substance you are seeking you might want to look elsewhere. If, however, you are looking for something that you won't be able to put down, I would reccommend this book.

I really enjoyed the story of a young girl coming to London for the first time at the time of the Plague. It describes the sights and sounds of medieval London in glorious technicolour. When I had finished I was so intrigued by the story and its setting that I was compelled to start researching the facts of the plague and great fire of London.

Thoroughly recomended for either yourself or teenage daughter.
5 people found this helpful
on 26 February 2009
At first I thought this was a different book but it is actually 'At the sign of the Sugared Plum' and 'Petals in the Ashes' together. The books are heart-warming yet they show the essence of the plague and the great fire of London and its affects on the inhabitants of the city. A great book with a great plot with great characters- Brilliant!
3 people found this helpful