on 18 September 2017
Evolutionary Void concludes in a very satisfying manner that's far from predictable, and that's exactly what I like in an ending. It's been a thrill of a ride, now I'm off to find more books set in this amazing universe.
on 9 August 2017
Massive series encompassing gene technology, worm holes, quantum physics, time travel & a huge interlinked cast of characters. Complex and suspendful
on 24 August 2017
A great follow up to the last two "Void" books. If you like science fiction you'll like this!
on 18 June 2017
Simply an amazing read, the breadth of imagination and story telling capability is unmatched. This is the most I've enjoyed a set of books in a while
on 18 November 2010
Peter F Hamilton writes big books and this is no exception. It is physically big and the story is enormous, stretching across the galaxy and over a millenium of time. This final volume of the trilogy cleverly ties up all the loose ends of the ongoing story and brings its multiple story lines to a final conclusion.

For me that is the problem with the Evolutionary Void. As the story concluded I became all too aware of the author ticking off the boxes as he closed each story line. I could picture him checking back over his character, time and story line databases. Everything was just too perfect. This is a shame because the technicalities dastracted me from what is actually a very good read.
on 25 August 2010
Here it is, the book I've been waiting nearly two years for: The Evolutionary Void. The conclusion to the Void Trilogy, started with The Dreaming Void and followed up by The Temporal Void, is by far my most anticipated book of the year and the series is making very strong noises to be my favourite finished series ever. So, with expectations that simply couldn't get any higher, does The Evolutionary Void meet these? Simple answer: Hell yeah!

The Evolutionary Void picks up immediately where The Temporal Void left off with no break in pacing, continuing the story in an effective, confident fashion. The many plot threads that have been built up over the first two novels are now dealt with convincingly, some with immediate effect while others come to the fore in preparation for the grand finale. It's very difficult, in fact nigh on impossible, to find any fault with this aspect of The Evolutionary Void. It is clear from many references and clues laid down in Dreaming and Temporal that the Void trilogy has been intricately plotted and even has details that go all the way back to the Commonwealth Saga. This is rather unsurprising when you consider that many of the characters present here have their origins in the duology.

Some of the story lines that I was most anticipating delivered the goods. The Deterrence Fleet is hinted at many times and the revelation of what it is and the capabilities it has still manages to surprise. This can be said of many of the plot points in Evolutionary. For example, Araminta is the descendant of two Silfen friends and this is used during Temporal to show how she is able to share her dreams of the Skylord (albeit unknowingly) with the Living Dream movement. This heritage plays a fairly big role in Evolutionary and leads to some aspects that I just didn't see coming, despite how obvious they are when looking back.

The format of Evolutionary Void also follows a similar path to that of the previous books, with the Commonwealth elements mixed with Inigo's dreams of life in the Void. While The Dreaming Void was roughly a 60/40 split in favour of the Commonwealth sections and The Temporal Void was roughly 70/30 in favour of the Void sections, The Evolutionary Void switches right back to focus more on the issues in the Commonwealth and the Void aspects taking a back seat, leading to the split being in the region of 80/20 in favour of the Commonwealth. This really does work in its favour and allows Peter to do what he does best: epic space opera. To say that Peter is ambitious in his plotting would be an understatement, but past good form is present here in every way possible, from bringing together plot threads to concluding the story in a fantastic way.

Peter has developed all his characters throughout this series, with familiar faces from the Commonwealth Saga continually being developed nicely and new faces to the Void trilogy satisfying all aspects I could hope for. Each development that forms the story is conveyed convincingly through the characters, from Araminita taking the bull by the horns to the eventual discovery of Aaron's identity and past. Edeard's progress is perhaps the most controversial and seeing him change during his sections left me somewhat non-plussed. However, Peter does do an exceptional job at showing how extreme power can affect all while still managing to portray Edeard's life in a most realistic way. The eventual outcome is all the more satisfying for this exploration of his character and serves the story very well.

One of the main aspects I loved about Dreaming and Temporal was Edeard's story, a story that is both gripping and emotional. I mentioned briefly above about his character in Evolutionary so I won't go into more detail here, but what did surprise me is that the format of consecutive Dreams is not followed here. It turns out Inigo had a lot of Dreams of Edeard's life and all that is covered in the first two novels is only a small aspect of it. Instead of sticking to the known, Peter goes outside this pattern and does not tell us everything, but rather select and important times of his life that have the greatest effect on the plot and story. Yes, I would have liked to read them all, but quantity does not always mean quality, and it is the quality and overall story that makes this approach powerful and meaningful to The Evolutionary Void.

There were two particular questions that I had before starting The Evolutionary Void, one relating to Inigo's Last Dream and the other relating to just how effectively Peter could conclude this trilogy. While I wanted them to hit the right notes I was just that little bit sceptical that they may miss the mark, just not being able to convince myself to ignore those doubts, unfounded as they were.

Inigo's Last Dream is one of the most beautifully written and poetic pieces of writing I have ever read. Seeing it coming from Peter was one of the biggest surprises and most pleasant finds in Evolutionary. While fairly short, it conveys so much emotion and feeling that I had to put the book down after reading it simply to absorb what I had read. Stunning is one way to describe it, awe inspiring would be another, but without a doubt it is the highlight of the novel.

The conclusion of the trilogy was something I hoped would be a fitting end and able to silence previous critics of Peters work. Not only does it do this, it manages to bring aspects laid down throughout the trilogy together in an ending that is grand in scale and perfectly suited to what has been laid out in the trilogy as a whole.

If I had to put forward one quibble it would not be about this book, but rather the fact that the Commonwealth Saga, which consists of Pandora's Star and Judas Unchained and is set 1200 years prior to the Void Trilogy, really needs to be read to gain a full appreciation of this epic story. While both are fairly separate, the story they form as a whole makes the experience much more fulfilling. There are aspects present in the Void trilogy, particularly Evolutionary Void, that hark back to this previous saga. While I wouldn't say it's a compulsory read, you will get the most enjoyment if you take the time to get around to them first.

So, I think you can probably tell from the above that I really did love this book, thought the trilogy has been exceptional and would recommend it to anyone in a heartbeat. It's intricately plotted and you'd be hard pressed to find another author who can pull off such a vision. For grand scale, epic space opera on a huge canvas it doesn't get much better than this. Highly, highly recommended.
1515 Comments| 130 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 September 2010
I'm half way reading this great novel and I'm finding it even better than the two previous chapters of the void trilogy. Hamilton is an impressive sci-fi writer and for sure I'm going to read more from him in the future.
Highly recommended to all those loving space opera, but also to all sci-fi readers who are not afraid to explore different sub-genres of science fiction.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 March 2017
Good read, great concepts with several twists, fine end to the trilogy. Does leave a few potential themes for the next tranche of novels
I waited a long while for this book to be published, Wow!, it was certainly worth the wait!

Peter F Hamiltion always writes epic books. They are epic is every way. Huge galaxy wide stories spread over a thousands of pages, dozens of characters all of whom add to the story, and if you looking for examples from just about every theme ever written about in science fiction you will find them all in this one book.

I was marginally disappointed with the closing chapters of Temporal Void as I felt at the time that the author had used a "cheap" technique to get the hero out of trouble. How wrong I was!! I don't want to spoil the plot for anyone who has not read the previous two books in this series, but I will say that the ability used by Edeard towards the end of Temporal Void is in fact crucial to the whole point of the series.

This book is also has a huge depth! It is easy enough to follow on the surface level, but underneath there is just so much more going on! I really must go back and read the entire series again as there is so much going on that at times you can sometimes miss seemingly minor things and then find that they were really important later on.

As anyone who has read the previous two books will know, there are two main interleaved plots. One pure hard sci-fi and the other a dream sequence set in an almost pure fantasy world. The linking together of these two stories is the entire basis for the series.

Underneath the two main plots there are at least a dozen sub-plots and even more personal stories that all add superbly to the whole. How Peter Hamilton kept track of all of them when he was writing the series I can't begin to imagine!

I must also mention the ending of the book and the series. With about 100 or so pages to go out of a series of 3000 pages in the trilogy, or nearly 5000 pages if you include Pandora's Star and Judas Unchained, I still did not know how it was all going to end.

I've read a few books recently were the story was great but the ending was poor. This was most definitely not one of those cases! The ending of this series is utterly superb. It is satisfying, rewarding, highly emotional (I actually had a few tears in my eyes!), and above all made perfect sense. Brilliantly done Mr Hamilton!

I will also add that this book reminded me a lot of some of Robert Heinlein's mid to later works that feature Lazurus Long. In fact some parts almost felt to me that they may be a homage to Robert Heinlein. I'm probably reading way too much in to this though, but if you are a Heinlein fan, keep an eye out for it.

All in all this book deserves nothing less than five stars.
on 22 June 2011
I have been a big fan of Hamilton's earlier work (having read all his work and some of it twice). There are many reasons I like his books: the multitude of converging story lines, the way the futuristic technology is introduced, the weaponry and the action scenes in which it is deployed, the plot itself, etc. Obviously, these exact characteristics also become recognizable - and less novel - after reading sufficient books of the same author. Nevertheless, I really enjoyed re-reading Fallen Dragon after having read every book Hamilton has published up to the Temporal Void.

Unfortunately, my first (and most likely only) read of the Evolutionary Void was not such a fulfilling experience. For one, the actual content (plot) feels rather limited for a book this size. I think he could easily have made a "trilogy" of 2 books instead of 3. Next to this, the Void (Eduard) sections were very repetitive (no pun intended) and perhaps a little boring. Some of the Common Wealth sections were better, but I missed the clever plot twists, hi-tech warfare, etc.

In conclusion, a disappointing conclusion to the previous 2 volumes (that I liked a lot). The story is just too thin to warrant a book this size.