on 8 November 2013
The Evil Beneath is a page turning thriller with lots of psychological insights, as the main protagonist is a psychotherapist, who is unwillingly dragged into a police investigation, when a female body is dragged out of the River Thames, wearing her clothes. I found the river and bridge references really interesting as Juliet Grey and DCI Brad Madison race their way around London trying to solve the clues sent by the killer and find the bodies.

The various story threads are expertly woven together, with several red herrings thown in for good measure, before the identity of the killer is revealed.

I loved the way each character was brought to life through their own foibles and problems and thought the growing attraction between Juliet and Brad was well done, keeping the magnetism fizzing along throughout the book. This is an absorbing read and the author A J Waines draws on her many years experience as a psychotherapist, some of which were spent with clients in high security prisons.

A professionally crafted and produced e-thriller.
on 7 October 2013
Thie was a great read and kept me guessing throughout especially with the twists. I don't want to give anything away. The characters were great you felt their pain and frustration and emotion and empathy. I felt exhausted getting to the end. I would recommend this for anyone who enjoys a crime thriller. This book was chosen as our book for bookclub (October 2013), easily finished within the month.
TOP 50 REVIEWERon 3 August 2013
I read quite a lot of independently published fiction. Most has something of merit, although sadly a few books are really just not very good and it is quite a struggle to find anything positive to say about them. However I thought that The Evil Beneath was quite outstanding. It was a thoroughly competently and professionally written book and why it has not found a traditional publisher is a complete mystery to me.

The story is told in the first person by Juliet, a psychotherapist. There are a series of murders of women, apparently connected by the discovery of the corpses under bridges on the River Thames. It soon becomes clear that Juliet is linked in some way to these deaths, and this impression is reinforced when the murderer starts communicating with her in a rather cryptic fashion. In the background is what appears to be a subplot since Juliet's brother, Luke was killed in a house fire some twenty years earlier and doubt has now been cast over whether this was an accident. Clearly being independently minded and of an enquiring disposition, Juliet starts to investigate both the murders and the house fire.

The climax is quite tense and makes sense of everything. This is a cleverly constructed plot, although some suspension of disbelief is necessary latterly. This is, however, not really a criticism as I am quite happy to suspend disbelief provided the story is worth it and this one certainly is. This is an impressive novel, evenly paced and which does not lag at any stage. It certainly does not fall into the inexperienced author's trap of making things just overly complicated. Highly recommended!
on 22 July 2013
Just finished reading this book and was blown away. It twists and turns from suspect to suspect and just when you think you've got it, something else comes along to question your judgement. It is a tour de force with regard to portraying complex personalities, relationships and how the human psyche works. I'm left feeling bereft that as i've now finished the book, I won 't be keeping up with what the characters are up to - if that's not the sign of a good book then i don't know what is! I highly recomment it to those people with a fascination for people, life and death.
on 5 July 2015
Having read the girl on a train, then this was the natural thing to do and read AJ Waines second novel, the evil beneath. From start to finish it had your fullest attention and in my opinion it was unputdownable once you started reading it. The plot had you guessing from the beginning and who would have thought it? Don't want to give anything away as it would spoil it. So again, I highly recommend this book, and The girl on a train, you will not be disappointed. Can wait for her next gripping story which I believe is out at the end of July 2015.
on 2 April 2015
This is an exciting and totally engrossing first novel which I was sorry had to end. My only criticism is that there was no front page giving the author's background and publisher's details (as is the norm) and it could have been better proof read as there are quite a few errors, nevertheless these did not detract from the story which is outstanding. I can really recommend this book for lovers of psychological thrillers, and am now really looking forward to Alison's new novel 'Girl on a Train'.
4.5

After reading No Longer Safe by the author and being blown away, I knew I had to read more of her books and I decided on The Evil Beneath.

Juliet is caught up in a web of bodies turning up dead in the water. She, as well as the police have no idea how both have any relation to each other and seem to think it's down to where Juliet works. Juliet is obviously very nervous and a little scared as to what is going on around her and is as interested as the police are in getting to the bottom of it.

Even though the police are involved, Juliet certainly seems to do a better job at times, working on her own in trying to solve it. Brad the detective and Juliet seem to have quite a lot of sexual tension going on and it's obvious they both really like each other. I did find it slightly in appropriate with Brad working on the case to get so close to Juliet as it certainly wouldn't be allowed but as it's fiction and I quite liked the chemistry that was going on between both of them it didn't really get in the way of the story and if anything probably added to it.

The Evil Beneath is yet another gripping read where I didn't have a clue who was going to be behind it all until it was revealed to me. The whole plot has been very cleverly put together and I was kept guessing right up until the very last minute. I loved the whole connection and how the pieces all come together by the end. It certainly makes for a great read that has you hooked from beginning to the very end.
on 2 September 2014
This was a brilliant read with lots going on. It kept me hooked not knowing who the killer was until the end. It was clever how it made you think the killer was someone else and I was honestly suspecting everyone near the end. I really liked the characters and found I got invoked easily. There was always something going on to keep the book interesting.

Great read which I would definitely recommend.
on 22 September 2014
This book will not offend anyone - it had no sex, foul language or gruesome details of the murders.
However, I felt it was rather dragged out, especially after 50% through the book.

Juliet is a psychotherapist who also counsels at an abortion clinic.
Three murders in the first few chapters are somehow linked to her.
After that I found it a bit repetitive with many phone calls between Juliet and the policeman in charge
of the investigation, and her being called to the police station a lot to really just go over the same
information.

Besides the murders, Juliet was trying to uncover the truth about her brother's death many years
before - was it an accident, or something else? The various strands did come together in the end,
but I was starting to skip paragraphs by then just to get to the end.

For a free book it was o.k., but I wouldn't want to pay for it.
on 1 December 2013
I like a book that keeps me guessing over "whodunnit" and found that I genuinely couldn't put this book down.

I liked that I could relate to the main character and the various interactions (realistic more than far fetched) with other characters within the novel. Also the pace was just right and not rushed at the end.

I want to keep this brief and to just say that this story delivered on the characters, the crime, the modus operandi and the general overall entertainment I haven't enjoyed since Patricia Cornwell's earlier novels featuring, Scarpetta on the hunt for Leyland Gaunt!

M. Hoyte-Morgan