The Eternal Kiss is a vampire fan's dream. No, really -- there are fangs, blood and bad boys aplenty in these thirteen short stories. It successfully combines well-known, new and previously unpublished authors, with most of them having already written for the YA genre.

My personal favourite stories are: The Coldest Girl in Coldtown by Holly Black (vampire venom!), Undead is Very Hot Right Now by Sarah Rees Brennan (can SRB do no wrong?), Other Boys by Cassandra Clare (I just love her writing), All Hallows by Rachel Caine (Morganville story!) and Falling to Ash by Karen Mahoney (great character name - Moth!).

Although I inevitably have my favourites, I enjoyed every story in this anthology. They're all entertaining and diverse, and cover a wide spectrum of vampire lore. There's romance, action, history, humour, and a good dose of horror -- literally something for everyone. The Eternal Kiss is a great way to get to know some new authors, and is an added bonus for existing fans. Whether the stories are standalone or set within an already established world, they're all easy to follow, and will delight even the most casual fan of all things fanged.

From one vampire lover to another, this is a must buy!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 12 September 2010
Like another reviewer here I was disappointed with this. I think it should be made clear that this anthology is aimed at teen readers - and, sadly, many of the stories read as if they were written by wannabe teenage writers.

Far from being fresh, nearly all the stories are variations on a very few themes:

1. Teen girl has a beautiful vampire boyfriend
2. Teen girl is a vampire (but may not know it)
3. Teen girl is a vampire hunter

All of these have been done before (Twilight, Sookie Stackhouse, Nevermore, Evermore, House of Night, Anita Blake and many others which I haven't read) and done much better. In fact, many of these don't even feel like short stories in that they don't really have a plot or a beginning, middle and end - they feel like a pitch to a publisher or an opening chapter or prologue to something longer.

Anthologies are usually a good place to get a taster of what's out there and discover new writers - would I want to read anything else written by anyone in here? - sadly not.
on 27 April 2012
'The Eternal Kiss' is an interesting collection of vampire tales brought together in one brilliant volume - twelve of which are original to the anthology.

I occasionally enjoy reading short stories, so I sometimes find myself buying anthologies like this one to satisfy the craving. On the whole I really enjoyed the stories in this collection. They are all, in their own way, incredibly brilliant and whilst some left me cold others made me laugh out loud (really) and wish that I'd thought about vampires like that before. There are several stories in the collection whose author I will be looking up to see if there is more written about them (I hope so).

'Falling to Ash' is definitely one of my favourite stories in the collection. I really liked the main character Moth and the narrative voice. It was nice to re-read 'Shelter Island' which is set in the fantastic Blue Blood verse. 'Sword Point' was an interesting read. 'The Coldest Girl in Coldtown' is centred around a really interesting idea which I would love to see explored. 'Undead is Very Hot Right Now' was an interesting way of looking at the vampire phenomenon, it was a little bit sad and funny. 'Kat' was surprising, but then I should know that things aren't always what they seem in 'the Otherworld'. 'The Thirteenth Step' was great horror, and I think it's the darkest piece in the collection. 'All Hallows' was a brilliant read and made me think I should re-try 'the Morganville Vampires' or maybe not if it has different main characters . . . 'Wet Teeth' had a melancholic feel to it. 'Other Boys' was a surprise and a close second darkest piece in the collection. I really enjoyed the concept of 'Passing', and I really hope there's more in this universe as it is awesome! Love the main character and the twist - sooo wanna read more!! 'Ambition' was sad and creepy. And finally 'All Wounds' was a brilliant end to the collection, and yet another one which I hope there's more of.

If you like urban fantasy, paranormal romance, or just vampires then this is definitely a collection to give a go, especially if you've not got the time to sit down with a whole novel. Although, you may find like me that once you've picked it up it's rather difficult to put down.
on 25 September 2009
Anthologies can be great, or they can make you wish you could buy just the stories by your favourite authors without the rest of the junk. Happily, this one falls firmly in to the former category.

There are all sorts of Vampire tales here, some with the newly turned, worlds where vampires are thought to be myth and those where they're openly known about, the (in theory) more cliched ones where the girl falls in love with the older vampire and wants to join his side, and many more.

Overall, this is a fantastic collection of stories, my personal favourites being: 'Falling To Ash' by Karen Mahoney (about a teen vamp called Moth who is asked to take on a job by her sire she'd like to forget), 'Sword Point' by Maria V. Snyder (Ava is a fencer who soon realises the new academy she's joined is not all it seems), 'Passing' by Nancy Holder and Debbie Viguie (A bunch of teen vampire hunters in training are about to take on their final 'exam') and 'All Wounds' by Dina James (vampires, healers and (albiet unseen) hellhounds...what more can you want?). Other highlights are 'Kat' by Kelley Armstrong and 'Ambition' by Lili St. Crow. There is also a Moganville short here for fans of Rachel Caine's Morganville Vampires series (not a series I love, but it's good and fans will love this short).

Those are the best of the 13 stories. Outside them, with one exception, the rest are all good, fun reads, just not quite as good as those above. There is just one story in this I didn't like or enjoy at all, and that's Wet Teeth by Cecil Castellucci which I found strange and to have an...unpleasant ending. Other than that, great book, great value. I've added several books to my 'to buy' list as a result of reading stories in here and I shall be waiting impatiently for books from Karen Mahoney and Dina James in the the same worlds introduced here.
VINE VOICEon 2 December 2009
Fresh stories with more than a hint of romance. I liked most of them and would re-read a couple which is more than you can say about other vampire-themed anthologies
on 5 December 2012
If i were to produce an anthology of short stories, i would ensure that atleast the first story fit the bill. The authors do not seem to understand the idea of a 'short story'. I am half way through and am actualy not going to bother finishing, none of the stories are that entertaining. The majority of them introduce a character with far too much back story, that they then never explain. The first story doesn't even have an ending it just fizzles out. If you're looking for a better one get 'Love Bites' much more interesting.
on 25 February 2010
This book was a real dissapointment. I had been waiting to by this book for ages and when I got it I realised it wasn't as good as I expected. All the storys seemed really squished and short.
I know your thinking "Cut short? That's what a short story is!" but some of them seemed like a sentance had been taken out of the paragraphs, so some of the paragraphs didn't make much sense. Some of the stories were brilliant like Holly Blacks, Kelly Armstrong and the very last story. I heard that the last mini story is being made into a book as we speak and I would buy this book JUST to get a head start on the new book coming out.
There is another good point for this book though- if you like the book Glass Houses: The Morganville Vampires Book 1 then once you've read that series there's an ending mini story from that series!!!
All in all the book was alright but it's nothing to jump up and down for.