on 14 May 2009
Another great little book from Mr Harrison, I was very impressed with his 1st book Vegetable Growing Month-by-month: The Down-to-earth Guide That Takes You Through the Vegetable Year and his second certainly does not disappoint.
"The Essential Allotment Guide" is written with the gardener in mind, with simple and concise information on subjects like how to get a plot, not always as easy as it sounds! Clear that jungle of a plot you have just leased and turn it into a productive oasis.
I've been an allotment holder for years and wish I'd have had this to hand when I started out. So glad I've got it now, who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks.
In his work Mr Harrison's love for gardening comes forth as does his enthusiasm for cost effective food growing. Not a coffee table book but a real book for reading and using.
All in all a lovely book
on 27 May 2009
Another great book from John Harrison, I love John's writing style, it is friendly and chatty and easy to read. It has all the information you need to get you started on your allotment, from clearing it to getting it into delicious production.

It has all the information that would take years to learn from chatting to your plot neighbours, so will get any new gardener off to a flying start. It can teach the experienced gardener a thing or two as well.
on 7 January 2010
When I started on my allotment 2 years ago, being a complete novice I needed all the advice I could get. I bought a number of books on keeping allotments but found that page after page of instructions were impossible to assimilate. Then I bought Essential Allotment Guide How to get the Best out of Your Plot and realised that this is what I had needed all along. The information is presented as if you are chatting to the author, with tips and humorous asides which make it much more easy to remember . If you only have only one book for your allotment make it this one, it's not a huge book only 155 pages but what a feast of useful information in a user friendly format.
on 4 June 2009
Well what a fantastic and very helpful book i am still reading this one taking it all in. John who wrote this book gives you down to earth guidance information and sometime funny help his website is just as good no frills just good old fashioned advice. what more can i say but do buy this book, it is well worth the money
on 17 December 2009
An excellent book for anyone who is interested in growing there on food, either in an allotment or in their own garden. Full of practical tips without being long winded. Details on growing many vegetable varieties. It takes you from thinking about taking over a plot and what you will need - including the time that you will have to devote to run it succesfully. There is also a section on how to build a compost bin from recycled material as well as constructions on the plot, saving your own seeds, with a seed life chart and a sowing and harverting chart. A good pocket reference book.
on 22 May 2010
Despite the initial disappointment because it didn't have colour pics etc; I sat down to read and could not put it down.

I'm a first time veg gardener who is clearing land at my home to turn into an allotment (60ft x 40ft). This book has managed to cover off all the main topics from preparing land; siting of items such as greenhouses / cold frames; construction of raised beds / cold frames; through to composting and growing.

It also take the positive approach to instil the right mindset about reusing and recycling.

i cant speak for all, but i can say it has helped me immensity to tackle my first year with confidence and a better understanding.

Money well spent
on 29 September 2009
This is an excellent introductory guide to starting up and allotment with lots of useful tips written in a clear and lively way. As a total newcomer to allotment gardener, I found this invaluable.
on 9 July 2010
As a new allotment holder this is a a very useful book. A lot of good info on ground preparation, how to grow a variety of different fruit and veg and how to start from scratch. Much superior to the TV tie in books which have lovely photos but big gaps in information.
on 13 July 2016
Bought this for my husband who has just been allocated an allotment for the first time. He really things it is helping him understand what he needs to do going forward very knowledgeable information given and easy to understand. He reads it every day and looks back on anything he thinks he's missed. Brilliant for me as my hubby is very happy and enjoying his allotment.
on 13 June 2016
Having helped my husband for many years on our allotment for many years I was interested to find why we were doing the techniques we use and to get some new ideas. Very informative without being too weighty and realistically humerous about allotment life. I think this book covers everything we've ever come across and more besides