on 1 November 2012
The Englishman is subtitled "Can love go the distance" and it is quite the page-turner, I had difficulty stopping myself from devouring it in one go. It is the story of Kaisa, a young Finnish girl who meets and falls in love with Peter, an English naval officer. The author, who is a friend of mine, lives in England and is married to an Englishman, and she has made no secret of the fact that this novel has its roots in autobiography - in fact, it started life as a series of blog posts called How I Came to Be In England. But what she has done here so well is to completely fictionalize the story and provide all the required tension that keeps you reading and reading. All the small details about Finland and Sweden give the book such colour, and I love seeing England through Kaisa's eyes! Highly recommended!
on 6 August 2012
If you love romance, this is the book for you. From page one you will be gripped, sharing all the emotions and anguish that this young woman is experiencing, also giving an insight into the different culture of a Nordic country. I particularly loved this book as I could totally identify with the characters involved and knowing that it is a true story, anything could happen.
I would highly recommend it, Helena Halme is a very talented writer who bares her soul, allowing you more than just a glimpse into one of the most romantic stories that I know.
on 30 May 2017
Been away these last few days and managed to read your first book. I couldn't put it down loved it, so easy to read especially as a dyslexic. The images you portrayed as you wrote took me to the places you wrote about and especially when you lived in Leith.
on 21 April 2013
The setting, the complexities of emotions and the pull of family had me smitten with this story. It evoked the era it is set in with ease. It was an emotional roller coaster and is the perfect story to ingest on holiday, a lazy day or when you need to remember what is it about falling in love and why we do it.
on 23 February 2017
Very enjoyable to read and it left you wanting to know the outcome
Would recommend this as a good read
on 20 August 2012
I downloaded this on a whim, but I was drawn into it straightaway. The descriptions were great, the characters lived, and I was kept guessing all the way as to whether or not Kaisa and Peter would have a happy ending. A delightful story.
on 28 May 2013
I thought the novel was certainly a page turner and kept me enthralled with twists and turns of the lovebirds. The way the scenes are described in Finland and the way of Finish life almost made me feel I knew all about Finland!

Great easy read, just what a girl needs on a long journey home.
on 12 July 2013
This book was a very good read and gave me an insight into Finland, the story was also good and I would recommend this book.
on 21 April 2013
I really enjoyed this book, I usually read sci-fi, but read this on a recommendation and couldn't put it down! It's such a great story, I had to keep on reading. I would highly recommend it.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
A fun page turner, with truly loveable characters, beautifully described. I needed an "escape" and this book provided the perfect journey...