on 15 November 2010
Adyashanti helped me better understand why the life-changing effects of a spiritual awakening in my early 30s eroded over time. He calls it the I got it/ I lost it phenomenon. Had "The End of Your World" been available years earlier I may have avoided many of the pit-falls that un-enlightened me. The trap of meaninglessness, how the ego can "co-opt" realization for it own purposes, becoming drunk on "emptiness" and the illusion of superiority.
Because I've experienced increased energy and memory lapses it's reassuring to learn that physical and energetic phenomena often accompany awakening. Adyashanti says it's common to experience a new influx of energy as the egoic structure dissolves and to have memory lapses as our consciousness releases the mind. I, fortunately, did not experience the other symptoms of insomnia, heart palpitations and body movements. He says these normal transformational energies "re-wire" the mind and lead to a clearer and deeper perception of reality.
Adyashanti says real awakening happens when the seeker and the seeking has dissolved. When we're no longer fueled by "what do I want" and "what don't I want." The hallmark of a true awakening is the end of seeking. There's no longer a need to seek love, approval, success, money or even enlightenment. We realize the entire structure of a personal worldview and a personal self is nothing but a dream in universal mind. True enlightenment is the experience of Spirit completely unhindered, uncorrupted by illusion, conditioning or contradiction.
Adyashanti says, "Full awakening comes when you sincerely look at yourself, deeper than you've ever imagined, and question everything...Enlightenment has nothing to do with what you add unto yourself or whether you're more or less happy. Enlightenment is, in the best sense of things, a destructive process: it's the crumbling away of untruth." It's asking, "What do I know for certain?" and being open and sincere about what we find.
"The End of Your World" is an in-depth guide to spiritual awakening. With great clarity, wisdom and insight Adyashanti gives straight talk on the journey to Enlightenment.
on 25 February 2014
There comes a time in the spiritual journey, when the surface world has lost all it's appeal. There is no motivation to participate in the drama, no-lows, but also no highs. When one awakens and presence begins to stir, there is a void and a new adjustment to the surface world. I cannot recommend 'The End of Your World' enough for anyone finding their footing in this new mindset, or I should say, mindlessness set. When it comes down to it, it's about not knowing anything for sure and not only accepting it but seeing it as the natural essence - your true birthright. When you no longer know yourself as 'the thinker', when you recognise your thoughts as conditioned ego-based side-effects, something arises, it is the essence, the One behind it. Freedom is not in controlling your thoughts and feelings but by accepting them and yet at the same time not buying into them - they come and they go.

This book is also written in a very down to earth tone and I'm sure it will resonate with anyone on the spiritual path and perhaps even those who are not.
on 21 February 2011
After Reading, adopting and practising All of Eckhart Tolle's messages (A new earth and the Power of Now), this book is the second step for myself. Here is why? After attempting to live "my" best life in this human incarnation within the best expression of my self, I found my self, not knowing what to do, where to go in the context of having something to do.

So I was getting depressed and feeling hopeless as I was aware that I cannot be part of man-made structure yet I am human and gracing planet earth now. Since I do not have any inclination to drop everything and go join an ashram or meditate up the mountains on my own (never been a fan of NOT wanting to be part of this human system), I was truly feeling lost in silence.

This book has brought me back to some clarity which is this: Even this sadness of not knowing where to go, what to do, what is my purpose is everything but being awake. I was shocked to the core that I burst out laughing at the intelligence of the Ego that still managed to make my awareness of 'What is' as part of the person who is lost now identity. What a magnificent thing this EGO is.

I now understand what (or I think I do, not sure here!) it means to be part of the One and truly operating from the non-self.... I think I am beginning to grasp what it means to surrender and most of all I am beginning to be grateful to be here alive and writing this as I feel All is as it should be.

The major thing I learnt what it is to be part of the human race, what it means to squeeze out karmic egoic stuff out of our system as opposed to saying this is life, this is my journey and still being part of the EGOic structure. I also realised actually the EGO in itself is nothing wrong with it, its only a challenge when we do not know when we are operating from it....

I recommend this book to anyone to read but especially recommended to anyone that has been operating by these identities: A spiritual seeker, A spiritual person, A teacher, I am at the service of others, I am here to help others, I am depressed, still praying to god+universe to help you, to assist you (asking when in prayer as opposed to just being in silence.

Thank you Eckhart Tolle, Oprah Winfrey and Adyashanti.

Life is truly as it is... Wishing you all only silence in your journey
on 16 December 2010
Loved his first book but this is a unique insight as you advance along the "no path" towards the truth. It answers lots of questions that occur - in a straightforward manner without letting you off the hook in a search for the truth.
on 6 August 2015
If only I had read something like this years before, neo advaita is a blind alley. Adyashanti really helps the seeker of truth feel OK that after awakening there is still a process to under go before liberation. Yes there is no self, but as Adya writes there remain holding patterns to investigate before freedom is realized.
on 23 August 2011
Having spent many years being rather skeptical about what I saw as a spiritual 'emperors clothes' around the idea of enlightenment or awakening, my view was completely changed by Adyashanti. I found in him someone who spoke such sense and with such simplicity that he was reassuringly believable. His words reach a place beyond the mind. This is a book that I read again and again. Every time I find something new in what he says. I am touched in a different way. I have it on my Kindle so that it is always available to me.
on 30 October 2013
This is a major work with deep insight explained incredibly simply. I was very sceptical about the author and it's contents before reading this book. Lengthy reviews are unnecessary. If you are on a spiritual journey, whether you have direction or are lost, here is clarity about the changes that are taking place, and what will happen and how to understand the experience.
on 9 May 2013
Great book!..I read this in a couple of days and found it to be a well written and important book for those people wondering what the hell was going on...(all of us). I particularly liked the chapter on the pitfalls. Its an easy book to read no muddy spiritual nonsense in here just a clear precise this is what may be happening for you. The writer is down to earth and you can feel love in the pages, he isn't saying this is how it is, he simply tries to empathise with the reader and that is apparent in a gentle kind way. Read it..worth every penny.
on 29 June 2015
This is a remarkable book; encouraging and honest in talking about how the world looks post enlightenment. It this subject interests you, I can recommend reading this book carefully at least a couple of times!
on 18 May 2009
This book is simply a MUST for anyone who is advancing on the spiritual path.

I wish I had had this book years ago! It explains so much! But as Adyashanti says, every now moment that occurs is the one that's meant to be...

He addresses the issues that come up post awakening, but also says (and I agree) that this book is relevant for anyone who is maturing on the spiritual path.

This book is not for beginners. But if you are in the intermediate/advanced intermediate stages and you have certain burning questions, this book will go some way to answering them (quite a long way, in fact).

Buy this book, if you're one of these people. It's a must.