on 8 February 2014
Gerry, Jimmy and Kathleen have to stay at Kathleen's boarding school one holiday, due to illness elsewhere. They are loosely in the charge of the French mistress, but Gerry manages to charm her and they have a great deal of freedom. They start to explore the neighbourhood and stumble across a castle with, so it seems, a young princess who has been asleep for 100 years.

The princess turns out to be Mabel, who befriends the children and shows them some 'magic', using tricks of the castle, only to discover that a particular ring is indeed magical, granting various wishes with a variety of consequences...

The idea is somewhat similar to that of the better-known 'Five Children and It', but with more of a theme of castles and jewels, and the ongoing plot of trying to be nice to the somewhat sad mam'selle who is staying in the school. Sometimes amusing, in a low-key way, this was quite fun to read, although the Kindle version was rather poorly converted, meaning that a lot of the punctuation was missing, making it jar somewhat as I read.

I'm not sure if I ever read this as a child, but I enjoy classic children's fiction, so was pleased to find it free for my Kindle. I assume that in book format it would be easier to read.

Intended for children aged around 8-11, the language is inevitably dated, since the book was first published in 1907. Some of the concepts may seem rather naive, even unpleasant - yet E Nesbit gets nicely into the mind of children, and has produced an enjoyable story. Recommended.
on 20 July 2017
Ok book
This is always a pleasure to read, you can narrate it to children and then they can read it themselves, and it also makes a pleasant read for us oldies. I’m sure I’m not the only one who can remember seeing the TV series of this whilst growing up as well. First published just over a hundred years ago this book has entertained countless adults and children since then.

When siblings, Gerald, James and Kathleen can't go home from their respective boarding schools in the holidays, due to illness at home, it is decided that they will stay at Kathleen's school, and be looked over by a servant and the French Mistress. Thus the adventures of this intrepid trio soon begin. Deciding to take a picnic they stumble across what they decide is an enchanted castle, and meet the princess of the said castle, or Mabel as it becomes apparent after some time. With Mabel claiming that a ring is magic, much to everyone's surprise it does appear to be so, and thus their adventures get under way, but also the grounds of the building also seem to be enchanted.

Children will love this, when they are younger to have it read to, as they are older, to read themselves, and then again as adults, and then starting the whole process off again if they have children. This tale is simply timeless and can appeal to all ages, as when you are older it reminds you of your own imagination as a child. Full of magic, and some romance, there isn't really anything that you can find wrong with it.
on 28 June 2014
I like E. Nesbit books, so I really enjoyed this one. I had not read it before and soon got captured into the magic of her story telling.
I am an older reader than the book is targeted for ( I'm a grandma!!), but books such as these were read to me as a child at school and it's nice to re-read and re-live the memories.
I would point out though, that this version has more than a few grammatical errors! However, saying that it doesn't detract from slowly dragging the reader into a magical fantasy that was written over 50 years ago.
There is a lot of magic in this story (and I'm not going to divulge as there are probably better reviews on the storyline), but I saw quite a lot of similarities to the Harry Potter stories..... I wonder if JK Rowling got some of her ideas from here?
A jolly good read for those who like magical stories
on 26 November 2013
I loved this book - i was amazed to find I had never read it as a child , as. I loved and read over and over again all E. Nesbit's books, and I read it avidly in three sittings! Having said that, it is not one of Nesbit's best, though it has many of their characteristics: I especially liked the character of Jimmy, the cynical younger brother. Gerald is a bit irritating, like the 'I' of the Treasure Seekers.

Unfortunately this Kindle version has lost most of the punctuation making it difficult to read
on 21 April 2014
I found "The Enchanted Castle" to be a quick and enjoyable read, even although it is clearly targeted at younger readers. Despite this however the book seemed to be clumsily written in places, with many grammatical errors throughout. In places some sentences were so poorly punctuated that the sentence had to be reread in order to grasp the meaning. I did still , however, enjoy reading the book as the story was fun and easy to follow. I would recommend this book to a younger reader who would particularly enjoy the simple yet enjoyable plot.
on 7 March 2016
This is full of magic though at times it isn't an easy read.
It is an amazing book and one I have enjoyed.
on 30 September 2013
I think this is a very exquisite book and all the detail and subscription o the setting is outstanding. I would definitely recommend this book to people ,it would take to much time on the page to write whom I would recommend it to. I shall read more E .Nesbit books because I think they are outstanding
on 19 August 2014
A lovely tale of four children that discover a magic ring in an enchanted castle. The only reason that I've rated this book four star is because there was a spelling mistake or a missed coma on practically every page. Apart from that, I really enjoyed it.
on 8 May 2015
Having been a fan of E Nesbit's books since early childhood I downloaded this one. It was a waste of money and I haven't managed to finish it. When compared with her book Harding's Luck It doesn't seem likely that the same author wrote it.