on 29 January 2017
I keep coming back to New Testament Greek. I've worked through the predecessor to this book (John Wenham) several times and it's always hard-going. This newer version makes matters a little more clear, and you feel that the teacher is very much on your side, anticipating what you may find difficult. The book will enable you to read some parts of the New Testament, especially early parts of John's gospel and letters. It doesn't open up the entire New Testament to you, but it will give you an understanding of biblical translation.
on 1 February 2008
I have been studying Classical Greek for eight months and have been alternating between Peter Jones's book and that of John Taylor, both available on Amazon.

However I have also found this volume to be an extremely valuable tool for a number of reasons. Firstly the text is packed with apt tests and practices throughout for which the answers are provided. As I am not in a class nor have a teacher I find that this is extremely useful aid.

Also as I have a Roman Catholic upbringing the biblical phrases given as grammatical examples have the added effect of driving home the point.

The grammar is taught in a logical and helpful manner and a real sense of progress is experienced. The layout and print used is pleasing on the eye which is important when one is likely to spend some hours gazing over the text.

It is a pleasure finally to hear the spoken Greek in the CD but I was slightly disappointed that this was spoken in an American accent given the English University background to the book. Also I have some issues with the pronunciation. I think I prefer Peter Jones's tape to this CD. You can buy the book independent of the CD
10 people found this helpful
on 4 August 2005
This book is by far the clearest introduction to N.T. Greek I have seen, especially for home study without access to a tutor. By contrast, I found Mounce utterly impenetrable.
It assumes no prior knowledge at all, and takes you right from first principles (alphabet etc), explaining grammatical terms as they arise.
The only slight point which bothers me is that the book does not give stress marks, so if you are studying at home you have no guidance as to how words sound. I find this a drawback, becuase it is easier to learn vocabulary if you can hear the words in your mind.
Very highly recommended.
50 people found this helpful
on 25 August 2014
there are many different ways of learning Greek, which i have had the challenge of recently.
this book by Wenham, however, i believe offers the most appropriate guide through learning Greek.
take it at your own pace - there are superb examples to demonstrate and assist learning - great tests at specific points through the book and a superb glossary to look up but Greek and English words for their translation!

it offers good print also and teaches vocab and grammar in a very succinct way

its a fantastic book!
on 9 January 2018
Very good quality textbook. Used for introductory Greek at university. Requires instructor for best results. Like all grammars there will be topics simplified or explained in ways that raise scholarly eyebrows, but all in all a pretty decent starting point (just be prepared to leave Duff behind after a couple of years study!)
on 13 August 2015
A pale imitation of the classic"Wenham", written, for those with little or no knowledge of grammar. Participles, for more than half the book, are only second declension masculine. We arr not introduced to third declension until after half way. And the proof reading is not good. Additionally questions do not have unambiguous answers, essemtial at a preliminary stage
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 27 May 2017
excellent. this seems to be the textbook for learning NT Greek
on 26 February 2016
This is great. It's so easy to use and to learn from. We've used it in class but a friend has used it to teach himself Greek and found it helpful. Recommended.
on 10 July 2014
The CD is not useful but the textbook is probably the best out there and I have just about all of them.
on 3 November 2017