on 2 June 2011
Wow! I read this book on the strength of the other five star reviews and I am in total agreement with them. What a blast! Not like any insomnia book I have ever read before (and I've read them all).

I consider myself a bit of an expert when it comes to sleep books. ( I have bought in excess of 30!) Most just give background information and loads of filler. But now and again a book comes along that really stands out from the rest. "The Effortless Sleep Method" is one of them. In my opinion, there are only 3 or 4 books you will ever need to overcome insomnia. These are, in order of merit

The Effortless Sleep Method
Say Goodnight to Insomnia
I Can Make You Sleep (a self-hypnosis book)
Desperately Seeking Snoozing (only if you want to try sleep restriction)

This book is the least 'padded' of the lot. It's gritty and raw and a bit rough round the edges, (a bit poorly edited) but that is part of its charm. The first chapter is a harrowing narrative of the author's own battle with insomnia. It will strike a chill into the heart of any insomniac and I really found it resonated with my own experience. But having brought you down, in the rest of the book, she really `lifts you up' and tells you exactly how to change things. This is really not proper CBT like "Say Goodnight to Insomnia" but I haven't read anything with a better account of the thought processes needed to stop negative thoughts about insomnia.

There is the usual section on sleeping pills but don't miss this chapter out. I can't give spoilers, but after reading this chapter I gave up on the idea of ever taking another sleeping tablet. But best of all, there is a clear plan of action which is often missing in so many books. The instructions are precise and because of this, it is more of a `how to book' than just an information book.

I can see that this might be a bit of a `Marmite' book. You'll either love it or hate it! But I think I found it even more helpful than everyone's favourite "Say Goodnight to Insomnia".

This book left me feeling more hopeful about sleep than I had done in years and I think it was this book which gave me the final `push' in cracking my chronic insomnia. If you have insomnia or sleep issues, you won't regret buying this book.

Nadia
11 comment| 70 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 February 2012
Thank you. Just Thank you. I started reading this 6 days ago, and after 4 years of sleeping pills, lavender pillows, alcohol, sleepy baths, excessive exercise, falling asleep on settees and never in bed I have had 5 nights of wonderful beautiful refreshing adorable sleep, sometimes 4 hours, sometimes 7, but always refreshing. I have your "affirmations" stuck all over my office and whenever a negative thought pops in,i look at my signs. I felt a bit silly at first, but im sleeping and im positive so who gives a monkeys if im silly, i'd rather be silly and sleeping, than sensible and desperate.

I've tried many things, books, hypnotherapy, anti depressants, beta blockers (no idea... but i did find if you took about 12 you kind of passed out into sleep....),i always knew i was causing it myself, i just didnt realise that the way out of that was so obvious.

I think this one works, because you know that she knows how bad it is, so straight away you cant say to yourself, and you know that you do.... its not the same for me, ive tried it all, do they actually know what they're on about??? well yeah, she does and it shows and you draw faith from that, and thats what you need, just a bit of faith thatit could might just possibly maybe work for you if you follow it. Believe me i'm a cynical negative old so and so but what the hell i had nothing to lose by throwing myself into it, so I read the book, i believed the book and i slept like a baby that first night, so i was bang in to it the next night, then i didnt sleep so good, but instead of dropping into my usual despair and throwing a tantrum i thought i'd try her tactic, stick with it and remember to be positive even if it feels like you are telling a lie.

Yes I'm only 6 days in, but i feel different, i dont feel like an insomniac in a good spell, I feel like someone on the road to recovery, i feel like now im just a person who really does enjoy going to sleep at night...... and the plus side is, when you wake up after 7 hours of sleep that you didnt beg, barter or drug for, you wake up feeling like you just spent the night with Brad Pitt...... :o)
on 16 March 2014
I'm hesitant to be negative about a book that seems to have been helpful to a lot of people. However, this book did not improve my sleep; in fact it made me feel worse as the author is convinced I therefore could not have been following her advice sincerely.
The thing is the mind (conscious and subconscious) and sleep mechanisms are very complex and idiosyncratic things, so no list of sleep must-do's will fit everyone. The problem is that the author is quite emphatic that this IS THE list that will work for 100% of people. Unfortunately, that's not the case. Most of the techniques are freely available insomnia lore (no clockwatching, no daytime napping etc. - which 'experts' disagree about anyway), others actually exacerbated my insomnia (no TV in bed - I actually find I drift off whilst/after watching TV in bed - it 'brings me down, so removing it made the bedroom less of a relaxing place for me). Other suggestions are dubious at best and discredited at worst (NLP by writing lines of 'I'm a brilliant sleeper?).
In the end, perhaps I expected too much of this book, but then it does make grand, if unsubstantiatedif, gurantees.
on 21 February 2011
I have read a fair few sleep books in my time but this one is by far the best. I thought there was nothing anyone could teach me about insomnia that I didn't know already. But I realise now I didn't really know anything! When I got this book I read it in one sitting - I just couldn't put it down. When I had finished I actually cried because I knew I had found the answer to my insomnia which I have had for nearly 2 years. After 3 weeks of following the instructions I can sleep most nights and I feel really positive and enegetic. Give it a go. I really reccomend it and you'll learn some amazing things about insomnia which no other books say.
on 31 January 2012
The Effortless Sleep Method: The Incredible New Cure for Insomnia and Chronic Sleep Problems

Having just had my first brush with insomnia I cannot say how relieved I am to have come across this gem of a book. It not only gives very clear guidance on extremely straightforward ways to improve poor sleep habits, but equally as importantly it addresses how frightening and isolating insomnia can be from someone who has herself been there. Sasha has a lovely and empathic way of relating to her readers, and although this book is tailor made for anybody experiencing insomnia, she also has an ability to empathise with the reader as if they were having a one to one chat with her. I immediatley realised where all of my poor sleep experiences had begun, and the habits that have kept them there. I have only just read this book, and already noticed changes and improvements in my sleep, and I am entirely optimistic about my ability to continue to improve and sleep well. Love and light to you Sasha. Your turning peoples lives around
on 8 July 2011
If you have problems sleeping then I urge you to read this book.
After having had sleep problems for over 30 years I had given up finding a solution and dreaded the nights. I knew that I would just spend the first frustrating couple of hours or so in bed struggling to get comfortable and then give up and get up for a while only to repeat the process at least once again most nights. I would normally be awake at 5am and would then be unable to get back to sleep before the dreaded alarm clock would go off. Why is it always at that time that the bed feels the most comfortable? Every couple of weeks I would be so exhausted that on a day off work I would end up sleeping the day away. Of course I would then be unable to sleep that night and so the pattern continued.
While I already knew a lot of the things that Sacha talks about (having read many books about insomnia) something about the way she writes and explains things seems to have changed my whole thinking about sleep. As she was a long term insomniac she really knows what she is talking about and knows how badly it can affect your life and how desperate it can make people feel.
I can honestly say that since reading this book my sleep patterns have changed quite dramatically. The last four nights I have not had to get out of bed during the night and although I have woken up a couple of times I have been able to get back to sleep without too much trouble. It still takes a while to drop off but not as long as before and I am sure that by implementing more of the recommendations in the book things will only continue to improve.
If you have sleepless nights use one of those nights to read this book. You won't regret it.
Thank you Sasha!!!!!
on 13 October 2015
I finished reading this eBook on Friday (4 days ago) and I can definitely say that something has changed, something quite amazing. The essence of Sasha Stephens' message about insomnia is clear: stop breathing life into the Insomnia Monster by thinking and talking negatively about it (either to yourself or others).

I am a nutritional therapist and for years I have used my skills in nutrition to ease my insomnia...and I did pretty well! I used to barely sleep at all before studying nutritional medicine. I used to suffer from sleep paralysis, nightmares, all the forms of sleep disturbance (waking early, waking often, not falling asleep for hours, if at all). Over the years I then began to understand and practice sleep hygiene and my diet was near-perfect. Eventually I gave up alcohol and caffeine completely and I regularly exercised. I constantly worried though, why wasn't my sleep perfect when I did everything right? I had run countless lab tests on various hormones (cortisol, melatonin, thyroid hormones etc etc). I discovered imbalances and corrected them through diet, yet still I worried and thought, "why don't I sleep 7-8 hours every night?" "Why am I tired most days?" On and on I went until I stumbled upon this eBook...and the reason I stumbled upon it was because I was creating a website about insomnia and wanted to see who had written bestsellers on the subject and what those books were missing so I could fill in the gaps. I had never bothered buying a book about insomnia before because I always thought I understood that it could only be nutrition/hormone-related and I didn't want any 'quick fixes' that invariably don't work.

I read The Effortless Sleep Method in about 3 hours...it cost me £2.49 - a ridiculously small price for such a huge benefit. Sasha Stephens does write about sleep hygiene and she writes about relaxation methods and other useful but standard insomnia practices. It wasn't any of those that changed everything for me, it was just two simple ideas:

1) Stop worrying what time you go to bed; stop worrying how many times you wake up; stop worrying that you're tired in the morning; stop worrying how many hours you slept...STOP WORRYING! So I did. Immediately.

2) Don't do anything in your bed except sleep and have sex. And I did. My previous routine on a work day was to wake up, make a cup of tea and go back to bed for a bit to watch TV, check email etc for about 30 minutes. On a weekend I would do this too but sometimes for longer (ok sometimes for HOURS on a Sunday!).

So I stopped worrying and started using positive language with myself in regard to insomnia. I also started to get out of bed as soon as I woke up. What suddenly became clear to me was that I haven't been an insomniac for years! I had done so much work and regained my health so well that I sleep every night. However, I had put some magic number on it which was 7-8 solid hours every night without fail and if I don't achieve that continuously I must have failed somehow. How ridiculous! So now I don't care what time I go to bed and I don't lie around in my bed watching TV or on my laptop in the morning.

It's been a mere FOUR DAYS and I feel that something very deeply rooted has switched in me. I have suffered from motivation problems for years and yet the past two days at work have been so different and I feel...more awake!

The title of this review is 'Tentatively Excited' because I don't want to speak too soon. The truth is though, I feel as though I've slain the Insomnia Monster (which I created in the first place!) Be aware though that I had already done so much work health-wise to ensure a good night's sleep, it was the psychological side I hadn't bothered with. I still feel strongly that being physically healthy is also incredibly important for quality sleep but I must say, the mind is extremely powerful so I definitely recommend anyone having sleep difficulties to read this book!
on 24 February 2016
I had my doubts, as I had read serveral books very similar, but it did work!, Slept that night, and very little trouble since, shame there isn't something to stop husbsnd snoring, then I would have perfect sleep.!
on 30 March 2011
The Effortless Sleep Method is an engaging and easy to read solution to Insomnia from someone who actually knows what they are talking about! I.e. Someone who has lived with the effects of long term insomnia. I guess the saying "it takes one to know one" is never more true than in this case.

The book includes much of the common sense activities and behaviours which are either to be encouraged or avoided at all costs in order to get your sleeping life back on track, but more importantly, it explains the approaches which simply don't work and can actually be more harmful such as medication and why it never will work in the long run.

Once you take this on board, the most useful information of all is divulged. Information which in itself seems so insignificant in nature, but in fact is the crux of all insomniacs problems. The information which finally leads to totally perfect sleep.
on 21 March 2011
The minute I started reading Sasha Stephens' book I knew I was in safe hands. In the most clear and concise way she lays out all the fallacies and pitfalls associated with insomnia, many things I had never even thought about. There had always been a sense that sleeping pills never really addressed the problem, but here Stephens explains not only why they are not the answer, but also the dangers surrounding them. For anyone wanting to get to the root of why they cannot sleep and to finally get over pill-dependency, this book will change your whole perspective. Highly recommended.