on 7 July 2012
As a fan of the world of the Edge Chronicles and soon buying all books, I was excited for the last installment. With new characters I looked forward to entering this fantasy world one last time.
My first disappointment came aesthetically. Why is the front cover different from all the other books? This is the third time that they have changed the cover of the books (I preffered the original anyway), but I found it odd that they would change it again; especially for the last book. Compared to the other books also, it's much larger with 660-odd pages, with the text absurdly small, when, in the other books the text remained a good size. There were also hardly any pictures throughout, whereas in the past books, they have been filled with ilustrations. It was as though they tried to fill a trilogy of Nate in one book, which collectively suggests that money issues may have been the root of all these issues.
I don't even feel as though there needed to be a final book and The Immortals didn't really give me anything, and I found the story repetitive (another talk of storms and more war; more journeying forever and more absurdly good fortune as well as another main character having something bad happen to her). As a fantasy I would have expected a more broader world. There are many issues I have with this book but stating on the back of the book that he, and his friends will 'change the Edge forever' (or whatever) - well Nate doesn't actually do anything, him and his friends are just present at revolutions or amazing fortune gets him out of sticky situations, so he doesn't have to, which ultimately betters a city - and he gets the credit. (By saying 'getting out of a sticky situation' you of course know that a Caterbird is involved).
Despite all of this, however, I did read it all, and there is enough of Chris Riddell and Paul Stewart-esque to make you want to read more. However, I must say that I really did not enjoy the ending, and it seemed that they rushed the last part and I don't know why! It's 650-odd pages and not that much happens! Admittedly the ending did want you to read more (even though there won't be) but I feel that this was more the fact that it was sudden, unnatural and poor rather than being a cliff-hanger (and if you read the book I didn't add that last bit on purpose).
However, when the illustrations are there, they are superb and I would recommend it if you were a loyal fan of the Edge Chronicles for nostalgic reasons as you visit it one last time. It's OK.
on 6 September 2013
The third age of flight is upon us. Great phraxships ply their trade across the cities of the Deepwood. Young Lamplighter Nate Quarter, more used to mines of the eastern woods, finds himself on a physical and emotional quest, amid battles, rebellions ... and the mystic promise of a solution to immortality itself.

Written by Paul Stewart and illustrated by Chris Riddell, The Immortals is the final trilogy of the series, much anticipated by its army of fans. Happily, not only does it deliver the most epic and stirring story of all, but manages to knot all the threads of the preceding books with satisfying aplomb.

As ever, the language is dazzling - simple, clear, direct and often wry. The sumptuous illustrations, Beardsleyesque in striking black and white, capture the very essence of each character, atmospheric setting and mysterious creature of this fantastic universe. The drawings are masterfully paced so that one cannot help but read on and on in hungry anticipation of the next one. For fans of details, the maps are a visual treasure of myriad details just waiting to be devoured.

In The Immortals, the lowly creatures of the woods come into their own. One is quite at home with banderbears, trolls, hobgoblins and cloddertrogs. Our young hero Nate Quarter is as dashing as the others from earlier in the series, and a delicate romance blossoms with the brave and self-sufficient Eudoxia Prade, the mine owner's daughter.

Is it futuristic? Or is a high fantasy with a nod to the past? Both and neither. The Immortals is the most intelligent and fast-paced of the whole innovative series. Once you've been to The Edge, it stays with you for ever. And the ending? Breathtaking.
on 18 July 2016
Never stop making these please! The whole family enjoys reading the Edge Chronicles book, and its universe is pretty cool, and the inside art - so good!

Would recommend to read!
One person found this helpful
on 7 March 2014
Set 500 years into the third age of flight, The Immortals is a epic book. Nate quarter, a young lamp lighter, runs away from his home. To make a long story short, Nate has an incredible adventure that leads him from the stilt shops in GREAT glade to old Sanctaphrax itself. With the friends he makes along the way, Nate learns the history of the edge all the way to the day s of Quint. This book is indescribably incredible.
on 16 December 2015
I bought this for my 10 year old grandson who absolutely loves these books. He is forever reading now and says the stories are fantastic. A very good purchase. Highly recommended
on 2 September 2012
I had read many of the Edge Chronicles before I picked this book up and I have to say that The Immortals gripped me from the very first sentence. This is a fantastic book and I found it hard to put down. It is full of twists and turns that keep you hooked and a menagerie of characters and creatures that bring excitement and wonder to the tale. The illustrations match the text perfectly and really help to bring the story to life. If you like adventure and mystery and have not read The Immortals yet, I suggest you do. The Immortals (The Edge Chronicles)
on 20 March 2013
Only misses 5 stars and 'Excellent' due to it being not quite as good as previous books.
Having said that, if you've read and enjoyed any of the previous Edge Chronicles, buy it!
on 15 June 2015
My 13 year old son loves this series
on 6 January 2016
good
|0Comment|Report abuse
on 22 January 2015
The book is thrilling with, I feel, a more realistic tone than the rest of the books, and therefore more satisfying. The writing and pictures are as good as always with an extremely captivating story.