Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

VINE VOICEon 12 May 2011
Format: Audio CD|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )|Verified Purchase
The dramatisation covers the main points of the story of the Eagle of the Ninth so the details of the attempt to recover the eagle are all covered ..but.. there is a lot of action in the story that does not come across that well in the audio version. I think that because the story does not rely just on the dialogue but rather the action to make the overall story that something is lost in in the overqll telling. This really does need visuals to backup the plot - you can do that in your minds eye when your reading it but the audio sometimes seems to rely on crashing and shouting and I felt a bit disconnected from the story - which is a shame because its been a favourite of mine for a long time.
I think on balance this is OK but I'd prefer to have the original story read
on 16 July 2015
As a replacement for a much played Audio tape of the 1950's it great no wow or noise on this Cd, Put together as a present with the DVd of the recent flim.
The Eagle of the Ninth is an oustanding classic read. While this was classed as a Children's book - for me now some 30 years after first reading it - I am excited. The author brings Roman Britian to life with some wonderful word pictures.

A must read, again and again!
on 6 October 2012
This book was originally written principally for children, but that seems such a waste! I don't ever remember reading it when I was young, although I do vaguely remember a TV adaptation going out in what used to be children's hour.
It was written over fifty years ago now, and strangely you can tell; I don't know if it is the language used, but it doesn't detract from the enjoyment of reading. Today there is a mass of fiction set in Roman times (some would say far too much!), but this was one of the first aimed at the mass market.
The story is fairly simple, but well told with, for me, just the right mix of description and story progression. It would still make a good introduction to historical fiction and is worth reading at any age.
I first read the book "The Eagle of the Ninth" at school many years ago and found it to be a super story - it still is.

This CD brings the story to life.

And what a story it is in Roman Britian. The CD transfer is clear.

Good.
on 14 August 2007
The Eagle of the Ninth is a tremendous tale, based round the genuine mystery of the Ninth legion, lost in Britain in the 2nd century AD. A young centurion and his servant, a celt, travel north of Hadrian's Wall to try and discover what became of the legion. There's mystery and fighting, but it's also a story about friendship and trust. Rosemary Sutcliff has written many excellent historical novels for children, but this is one of her best.

I have to be honest and admit I haven't heard this recording. I would give it 5 stars as the story is so good but it just can't be as good as the BBC full cast dramatisation, sadly only available on a double tape (ISBN 0-563-38920-6) which has been listened to countless times by my youngest (from ages 6-8) and 2 or 3 times by the rest of us (now aged 43, 42, 12 and 10) in the car. Only my daughter (10) isn't that keen to hear it again.

One note of caution, Amazon claims this to be suitable for ages 4-8. I'd have thought that under 6s would struggle listening to it and it most suitable for over 10s to read it to themselves.
on 13 March 2014
if you can no longer read it try this provided you have a CD player and can still work it
on 10 April 2015
I can sum this story up in one word: "Boring" It was too short and the voices did no justice what-so-ever to the story. If there had been a 3rd CD I don't think I would have bothered to listen to it. Just another disapointment for me from the BBC.
on 21 July 2014
Excellent acting, awful accompanying music
on 11 February 2015