on 11 October 2009
The title should give it away but just in case you are not a fan of gruesome deaths, cold blooded killers and explicit torture scenes, hit another link quick; this book is certainly not short of it!

The story starts with the disappearance of Karen Harding, who goes missing during her journey to Canada to visit her sister. A young reporter Jason Wade, who is in competition with other graduates for the same coverted position at the Seattle Mirror, is determined for his page one stories and to find out what happened to Karen; he is relentless in his pursuit irrespective of his 'unrefined' journalistic talents.

Whilst this is a very good thriller, I gave it a 4 star because there are elements of this book that is predictable and lacked originality. Despite this, the book was enjoyable, the story read well and had me racing through the pages.
At first I thought this would just turn into a book about a power hungry journalist desperate for a story. It is so much more than that. Jason is desperate to make something of his life and start a good career. He doesn't come from a privileged background and is the underdog at the newspaper where he is fighting for an internship. He's such a good character and I like the way the story focuses on the fact that he's right about the reverand. For once here is a story that doesn't drag everything out. We find a lead and follow it. The detail is just enough to make you cringe but for fans of serial killers etc it's what you'd want. I loved this book and can't wait to read the next one where we meet Jason again!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 29 September 2009
This is the second book I have read by Rick Mofina, I loved the first one (Six Seconds), and this is just as good. It's totally gripping, I couldn't wait to turn the next page.
Karen Harding is a student on her way to her sister's after a row with her boyfriend. Her car breaks down and she is stranded on a deserted stretch of road, and no trace of her can be found.
The police are on the trail of a sadistic serial killer, is he linked to Karen's disappearance? Meanwhile young trainee reporter Jason Wade is on the lookout for a big story, he sets out to investigate what's happened, and creeps closer and closer to the truth, ending up in terrible danger.
This is a top notch thriller, real edge of the seat stuff with a truly deranged and very vicious killer. Can't wait for the next one.
on 2 January 2010
I bought this book because it was recommended to me. I didn't like it. That doesn't mean it's rubbish; it means only that I didn't like it.

First, the good things (or you may see them as good things).

1) It's fast paced. Yes, it really is.
2) The dialogue is mostly believable.
3) The newsroom background is accurate (as one might expect).
4) The writer does a good job of getting across the spooky nature of a lot of Washington State.

Those are the good things. Now the negative ones.

1) It's plotting by numbers. The writer has a guide saying, "Action here"; "Crisis here"; "Spike here"; and so on and he follows it. Too faithfully. There are too many crises and they come too close together. That's the downside of fast pacing.
2) Characterisation is dire. There isn't a real person in the book. To call them all cardboard cutouts insults cardboard cutouts.
3) The writer doesn't trust his audience. Here's an extract from only the third page: "But this route made her uneasy. She saw fewer towns, buildings, houses, lights. She pressed on, unable to see the streams, the forested foothills, or the slopes of the Cascade Mountains. But they were out there. Veiled by darkness." That's it, Mister Author. You've conveyed the picture. We understand. Stop now. But he doesn't -- because he doesn't trust us to see the picture he's painted for us. He goes on: "As she drove into it, Karen felt alone. Vulnerable." Oh, really? Gosh, I never would have guessed that from what you'd already said.
4) I hate unlikely coincidences that help solve the mystery. They are sloppy writing. Bad plotting. Obvious crutches for the unimaginative. (Dear me, I'm writing like Rick Mofina now). And there is one in this book -- the bookmark that -- with stunning improbability -- sits in an old wall. Not only that, but the Police have already carried out a painstaking fingertip search but failed to find it. And then, guess what? Yes, that's right; our trusty cub reporter sees it and the whole mess of knotted strings begins to unravel before our eyes.

I won't go on. You either like this sort of nonsense or you don't. Personally, I don't. But it's easy enough to read -- I'll grant that. Reader participation is zero. All the bloody, stomach-turning mayhem doesn't once engage the emotions. It's like walking through the Valley of Death, charging the Russian guns with the Light Brigade and thinking, "Gosh it's noisy around here. I wonder where all the smoke is coming from?"
on 29 March 2014
Set mainly in the Seattle region of the USA, the novel charts the disappearance of a student and the ensuing investigation by both the police and a rookie reporter (Jason Wade). The story rattles along at a fast-pace and the chapters are short and snappy. I particularly liked the way the writer was able to thread a fair number of key characters into the tale without confusing his readers. A satisfying read from an author who knows how to keep his readers turning the pages.
on 27 May 2015
Loved the book. Exciting read, ,coundnt put it down . brilliant author. Only complaint there was a few spelling mistakes but that didn't put m e off.will be reding more of this authors books
on 6 April 2015
Thank you Rick for another great totally absorbing story. Please keep writing more of these fascinating books. Highly recommended read
on 16 December 2011
not disappointed with this the third rick mofina read recently. what more can i say. if u like suspense give it a go. i want more and more and yet to be disappointed
on 1 June 2015
Recommended thriller
on 13 January 2015
A newly discovered author for me. A great thriller really made my heart pound, some of this is beyond nasty. Could give you nightmares! Can't wait to read the next one.