on 21 February 2014
Ok I have to admit I like reading Fantasy novels, nothing like a bit of sword and sorcery for me to escape with. I had actually downloaded a sample of Aaron Pogue's novel "The Dreams of Oberon", and when I eventually found the time to read the full novel, it had been republished and re titled the dreams of A Dying God. Aaron is one of those gifted Authors who can describe clearly and deeply without an awful lot of words. A skill I admire as I can’t claim to be that way myself. The story starts at a good pace with no preamble. In that respect it’s like the first Indiana Jones film. No Back story straight into the action. I was already hooked, but then something I simply hadn’t expected started to unveil itself. I really can’t say more, as it would ruin the story. Here is a simile. You take a car for a test drive but it turns out it's also a boat. (Told you I wasn’t a gifted writer). Yes its Swords and Pirates, pistols and Elves. No it doesn’t in anyway follow a predictable plot. I can’t recommend it highly enough, I escape into Aarons richly crafted world and then he helped me escape from there two. I am so enthusiastic about this book and the author. Have now read the sequel and will be giving that 5 stars too.
2 people found this helpful
on 21 March 2014
This is the first book of a gods dream of creation. His creations all have free will to make their decisions and Oberon has to make the world work. As time goes on he finds it harder and harder to make it work. It is compelling reading but the many twists and turns while being exciting make it harder to understand what is actually happening. Once you get further into the book and you begin to really understand the plot, it is magic in more ways than one.
on 16 April 2016
The concept for the book intrigued, but I found the writing style flat. The author spent little time describing places and scenes well enough to get a sense of what was happening to the characters. In the end I felt happy enough to have read through, but not invested enough in the characters to read on to the rest of the series.
on 13 March 2014
I enjoyed this book and am now reading the second in the series. The main character differs from the norm and I like the pirate element. The main character is strong and the story written with humour. A little different and very enjoyable.
on 4 September 2015
A bit confusing this one, but its an interesting story. I have read part 2 and thought the same really.
on 23 February 2014
Really enjoyed the book from start to finish. The book provides a good plot with some unexpected twists and the character development of the main hero was very good. Pogue excels at describing the world in which the book is set, which, coupled with a fast moving plot had me hooked.

Would highly recommend and have already bought the second book in the series
on 9 March 2014
A fantastic story that kept me wanting more from start to finish, simply couldn't put it down and simply can't recommend it enough!
on 18 February 2014
A fascinating story, at times quite exciting too. I really liked parts of it but I must say it rambled a bit too much for over the dreams of the dying god - could have done without that, it did spoil it. For me this is a book, which should be left at Book 1.
on 18 March 2014
A bit too 'Faerie' for me, a bit stilted in places, quite hard work but leaves me a little bit curious to see what happens!
on 28 February 2014
The first time I have bought books by this author ,and was more than pleased with the story and presentation. I look forward to reading part two in a couple of weeks whilst on holiday. This style of book has a huge audience and I can highly recommend it to first timers like myself.