on 10 April 2015
Tears stung my eyes
Tears streamed down my face
Tears burned my eyes
But i whispered to myself i must be strong
My heart thrashed in my chest and
More tears stung my eyes

The above sums up what happens in this rotten effort of a fantasy epic, as that's all the characters seem to do though out the whole trilogy. As you might have gathered already, i do not rate these books in any semblance of the word. In short they are a complete waste of time. unfortunately for me i read some of the reviews on amazon, thought it might be worth a read and bought the trilogy. usually I don't go into a great amount of detail with my reviews, as i don't want to ruin the experience for other readers, but i feel this travesty of a trilogy deserves exactly that if only to warn people away from wanting to poke their eyes out at the drivel written before them.

There is no back story of any worth in these books. a previous empire is mention regularly enough and the main character (rune) is the heir to this fallen empire however, we learn nothing about the empire itself, of the beauty, the culture, the creation of etc etc. you cant sympathize with any "rebels" due to the fact that you don't know what it is they're fighting to restore.

The characters in this book are so 1 dimensional that its quite painful to read about them. there's no bond established between any characters, no life to the dialogue shared between them. no intense feeling of friendships. the basis of what makes a good book (ie the characters) is non existent here and in turn you feel no empathy or any other emotion for that matter for any of the characters.All the characters in this book seem to do is cry and then cry some more and then cry again once the initial batch of crying is done. by the end of these books i found i had a tears in my eyes as well, tears of joy as i had finally finished reading them.

the story line is also a shambles. in short the entire kingdom this book is based in has a population of people that are able to transform themselves into dragons whenever they feel like it. they are ruled by a tyrant who has any army of several hundred thousand dragon/human shape shifters, who in turn rule in his name over millions of souls all of whom (just about) that can change in to fire breathing bone crushing flesh tearing dragons. if the world they live in is so bad and the emperor is so cruel why not just turn in to a massive dragon army of million and overthrow him? like i said the plot is 'plotless' for a better word.

Some of the sub plots are completely pointless. At one point we are entertained with a whole chapter told through the consciousness of a dog. I'm still completely baffled by this and asking what we as the readers were meant to take away from that experience. the dog in question has no relevance to the outcome of the story, so again what the author was thinking is beyond me.

The whole book seems to be written in a way that the author is hoping that it will be picked up by some Hollywood studio or TV company (maybe the success of Game of thrones had an involuntary influence here) and forgot that first you need to write an actual book not a very poor long and boring screen play.

This book or books are not very good at all, usually you can find some sort of redeeming factor in a book that you didn't enjoy but in this case i really cannot. these are the worst books i have read in a very very long time.

If this is your genre then I recommend that you read any of the following; Blood and Tears, The Wardstone Trilogy, The Farseer trilogy, The King killer chronicles, the first law trilogy Just do not read this set of books.
on 22 June 2015
As a newcomer to this style/storyline of books I was very surprised at the fact that it was hard to put down once you started to get into the story. Very enjoyable and would recommend this to any "novice" reader of this type of dragons storyline (Good v Evil) left you wondering until the very end who would come out on top. I am looking forward to trying another of his trilogies.
on 1 September 2014
The books are highly imaginative and follow a seeminly lost cause of 'good vs evil'. The story is sometimes extremely violent with mich emphasis on battles between dragons and humans. Its hugely entertaining with lots of gory details (if you like that sort of thing!). I worry about Daniel Arenson's state of mind - he must have surely have spent a misspent yoiuth to write with such authority on wars and violence!
on 26 March 2016
Unengaging and very very typical. Just predictable story I'm afraid, I really struggled to finish these books as I dunno, the characters are true to themselves but it just makes the story repetitive, they never change, the main two develop and thats only one dimensionally.

I wanted to like it, I'm not a harsh nay-sayer but these books I just didn't find engaging.
I'm a big fantasy fan, and have read quite a variety from warhammer books to maze runner quadriligy to even twilight.

But here I just found these books too simple, too predictable and flat.
on 29 December 2013
I have read all of the 9 dragon lore books and this last trilogy was by far the best. The style of writing and different plot lines displayed a higher level of complexity than the first two trilogies and consequently became more addictive reading. I also liked the subtle references to things from earlier books. Definitely one to recommend.
on 27 April 2015
Not a dull moment. Vivid imagery, fast paced yet covers all the emotional spectrum too. Excellent storytelling by the author and I'll be investing in more of them Happy reading - you won't be disappointed.
on 12 October 2014
I've really taken to this author. Fantastic characters who you really get to know, no annoying gaps leaving you to wonder how the evolving storyline impacts on them. Treat yourself, download the series.
on 2 January 2015
The storyline for this book is excellent the characters are likeable and the the country of requiem is a vast and intriguing.
I'm not the biggest fan of how the storyline is executed I find it a bit obvious and at times question why the writer allowed the characters to make such frustrating and blatant mistakes over and over.
However although this book doesn't have the and twisting depth of a terry brooks Classic it does have charm and if you want an easy and enjoyable read about a fascinating people with deep magic this book is for you.
If you enjoyed the eragon trilogy you will like this book
on 13 December 2014
Terrible prose.writers group?? Every thing has 2/3 adjectives !!awful gave up.the predictable dull clichéd narrative reminded me of old big trees growing out of rich brown soil in a fertile verdant valley in a dark velvet landscape. Less is more
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 April 2014
An absolutely brilliant read. The story grabbed attention from the first to the last page. Would highly recommend this book to any reader who wants to get totally engrossed in a first class story