Customer reviews

The Dish [DVD] [2001]
Format: DVD|Change
Price:£14.50+ £1.26 shipping

on 4 November 2001
Brought to you by the people behind 'The Castle', 'The Dish' shows a gentler side to Australian comedy without loosing any of the wit or observation. The story is of simpler times, when even computers were new and people had heady ideas about the future. Of course the moon landings helped to change all that and there are undertones in the film that the world is about to change. Full marks for the casting, with all of the players giving superb and truly believable performances. The wit,warmth and humanity of this film are matched by a sublime soundtrack which also helps to plot the changes that are in the offing. It is a film that you really will want to watch again and again. Those old enough to remember how new the technology was that first sent man to the moon will wonder how it was possible; younger generations will think it incredible that we even dared to try. A comedy, a slice of history and a well rounded film that reminds what entertainment is really all about.
on 2 April 2017
Nothing too heavy, a feel good film that's okay for family viewing.
on 21 July 2017
A gift which was great fully received and enjoyed.
on 28 April 2017
great
on 28 April 2017
Great film- gentle and funny.
on 25 August 2017
Sweet film, fun with some true to life events.
on 26 February 2003
This film came highly recommended from friends who had seen it at the cinema, so I bought the DVD as I had missed it at the time. It was well worth it, one of the best films I have seen. A really good human comedy, well written and acted.
Although based on a true story, the characters are fictionalised to make the drama more engaging. Sam Neill's character comes out with what must be the quote of the movie .... in relation to televising the first moon walk .... "Imagine stuffing that up!" - I suspect that most people with some experience of life can empathise, which is one of the things that gives the film its power.
A friend who works at a radio astronomical observatory tells me that the atmosphere portrayed in the film is very true to life. Except the sequence of them playing cricket on the surface of the dish which, I am told, would be a very serious offence in reality.
Was there anything that I thought ought to be on the DVD that wasn't? Yes. Although there was the usual stuff - interviews, trailers and adverts (who wants those?) and some very good supporting material such as the newsreel of the Parkes observatory opening and some NASA archive footage - I would have liked to have seen something about the work that the Parkes dush has been used for in its long operational life, and something about the real people who took part in the events portrayed.
Was there anything that I didn't like about the film? Yes, but not to detract form a 5 star rating. At the start and end we see close ups of Sam Neill made up to look like an old man - I know it must be difficult to do, but if it doesn't look better than that then don't use a close up!
Will you only enjoy this fiilm if you are interested in things to do with space? Absolutely not, it is about people.
on 22 November 2001
Set at the time of the first moon landing the story revolves around the Parkes Radio Telescope which formed a major element of NASA's communication network. The film takes us through the events of the Parkes community up to and through the first moon landing. It''s a comedy, but a gentle one with some real suspense (will we get the TV pictures or not) of course as with the movie Apollo 13 we know the outcome but still the suspense level is maintained.
Good performances from all the cast, great music and some good comedy moments. As a Pom I take my hat off to the Aussie's at Parkes who really took part and those who brought us this film.
on 2 August 2002
I rented The Dish on DVD recently, and now I'm about to buy a copy. I watched it last night with the family who kept asking me before it started "Well, what's it about?" They treated my half-baked descriptions, based on reading the blurb on the cover, with some disbelief, and at least half the family wasn't keen on watching it at all. "A whole film about a satellite dish - are you crazy?"
But I forced them to watch it anyway. Result: absolute delight.
We hooted out loud with laughter on many occasions ("and I must remind you that this astronaut and this spacecraft are NOT to scale" - the astronaut in question was about three times bigger than the ship!) and the rest of the time we were smiling broadly. Ealing comedy comes to Australia, with a cast of endearing characters, beautiful and detailed writing, and a simple story told with great craft and skill. You'll love it.
Not a world-shattering film, but a near-perfect little jewel of a movie. Why does something as good as this not get the marketing push of, say, Men in Black.
By the way, the DVD special features are good, and the inclusion of a large amount of NASA film footage is superb, including Apollo 11 launch images that I'd never seen before, such as the sequence shot from the ground of Saturn 5 first stage being jettisoned, followed by the second stage firing, and the release of the giant O-ring adapter and escape rocket, all at 40 miles up. Absolutely riveting for all us baby boomers who were around in 69, and their space obsessed kids.
on 4 February 2007
This film never fails to bring a smile to my face. A massively underrated film that never got the attention it deserved on its release in both cinema and DVD. Firstly the characters, while slightly clichéd are extremely amusing and work very well together. The script compliments the actors and this helps the film run smoothly. Secondly, the film is amazingly easy to watch, due to the fairly light storyline, along with its nice, witty sense of humour, a sense of humour that can make people of all ages laugh. It really is the most effective "feel-good" film i have ever seen.

Another reason is that it catches the optimistic and excited mood of the time just right. Along with this there is some brilliant archive material that really can make the hairs on the back of your neck stand up. Lastly there is a fantastic soundtrack to accompany the film, the majority of the songs from the time and rather like the film are cheerful and upbeat.

I really do urge you to watch this film. It is a complete gem that can be watched in any situation, any mood and as i said at the start, will always bring a smile to your face, no matter how many times you watch it.