on 6 October 2016
As a 10 year old living near the DNSR in Winchester (the old capital of England from 827 until 1066) I was fascinated by the contrast between this quiet line and its busy neighbour the LSWR main line. My favourite location was Winchester Junction where the branchline to Alton turned right off the main line and the DNSR passed through underneath on its way north to be joined at Worthy Down by the wartime spur from Winchester Junction which I often walked along (disused in the 1950s). Winchester Chesil station (under CheeseHill) often was used by Hampshire diesels from Southampton terminating in Chesil instead of City station. City Of Truro would occasionally stretch its legs on the DNSR in those days but not doing 102mph..... 2240 was the most regular performer I remember. I already had earlier books on this line but amazingly MORE photos never published emerged for this book So I had to have it....
on 19 April 2017
I have to say this was not one of my better book purchases. I became interested in this now closed railway as a possible layout modelling project, and bought this book in the hope that it would be a good introduction to the history of the railway, and provide some inspiration through photographs. Unfortunately for me the book did neither of these things, largely because it is full of very mediocre, often poor pictures that contain very little detail and really could have been taken anywhere. Many of the photos are clearly digital enlargements of very small originals, and as a result are badly pixelated or blurred. The majority of the remainder are over exposed or washed out prints which are really quite uninspiring to look at, and provide little useful information. Even the photo on the front cover is of very poor quality, with digital compression artefacts everywhere and horrid washed out colours. Instead whole pages of the book are given to scans of old tickets or timetables, or lengthy lists of various things. I'm sure these may be of interest to obsessive railway fanatics, but they really aren't much help to someone just hoping to get a pictorial history of this closed railway line. Paid almost £25 for the book, wish I hadn't.
on 17 October 2014
At just over 200 pages including indices, I reserved My review until I had read every page. I can honestly state that this publication is among the best value for money I have spent.

I think both historians and modellers will appreciate it. The author has avoided too much detail which others include, yet still covered the subject more than adequately. For those who want more detail there are directives to other publications.

Modellers in particular, if like Me You model a ficticious cross country line, here is Your template. You will find a wealth of information on the reasons for it's existence, the day to day running, and reasons for survival.

I thought the choice of photographs was good, particularly in My case, the latter day colour renditions. Although I grew up in that period, time does play tricks on the memory!

I would recommend this book to a very wide cross section of those with an interest in a railway world now long gone.
on 28 March 2016
i was disappointed with this book. There is not enough photos of locos and too many photos of the same engines. I expected better for the price.
on 6 May 2014
A railway line of immense interest, now sadly long gone. This book brings it back to life and takes the reader back to a gentler era.
on 8 March 2014
The text is informative, well written and authoritative. The poor standard of quality of the photographs lets an otherwise valuable tome down.
One person found this helpful
on 10 September 2014
Fills in many gaps but better read after reading a previously published full history such as Wild Swan published DNSR
For their age did not find the photos blurry as previous reported.
on 26 February 2014
This book is as stated an in-depth study of this line mainly in the latter years until its demise. Many photographs, some repetitive. I was very disappointed that there was no index nor a decent map. A publication of this standard, I would have thought, needed these. Also a slightly larger case and blacker print for the headings of the photographs.

However I find that the current trend of hardback books with illustrated covers is not to my liking. Why no dust wrappers now? Silly me it's cost of course!
3 people found this helpful
on 5 August 2014
Still to read it in detail but an initial look through suggests it covers all areas of interest. We frequently travel along the A34 from Newbury to Southampton and check to see which parts of the old railway are still visible, this book will help to identify the remains
on 21 March 2015