on 26 May 2009
This book would have been better if Stacy Dittrich could decide whether she was writing a serial murder thiller or a Mills and Boon book on marriage guidance. Unfortunately, although the storyline requires some explanation of the marital problems of both CeeCee Gallagher (the main character) and her sidekick Coop, there is far too much emphasis given to the breakup of her marriage and her developing relationship with the FBI agent. It is also confusing the way the book frequently relates back to an earlier case on which the two worked together of which the reader is unaware of the details. Maybe she has written the sequal before the original?? The main storyline is good with narrative from the perpetrator
to add to the suspense. Nevertheless the constant referrals to her private life turmoil distracts from the otherwise well constructed plot. She tells us that although the storyline is fictional the book was inspired by an actual case that the author investigated during the course of her law-enforcement career. Now that is scary. It is her first book so 10 out of 10 for effort but will have to try much harder if she wants to build on this.
on 5 November 2013
This is the lowest I have ever scored a book review on Kindle.
The story started very well, I thought this is going to be good by chapter 2 that changed the author just kept (through out the whole book) referring to book 1 murder mountain and rehashing how traumatic an experience it was with the main character CeeCee Gallagher then it started to be an advert to relate counselling between her, her husband and her lover who she met in book 1 i'm sorry it's either a serial killer novel or romance but not both.
I'm afraid I won't be trying another Stacy Dittrich book thankfully this was free. You win some you loose some.
on 26 August 2013
loved this book, was a real page turner, not one I would normally have read but was glad I did, found it did sometimes go into too much detail about the characters relationships but then you would turn the page and there would be a bit of action, will be looking for more books by the author
on 26 July 2013
This book comes across as very real. The storyline and characters are very believable. I really like the fact that the author didn't try to rosy up the good guys and instead portrayed the reality that probably and does go on! Great book that will shock you and grip you!
on 6 February 2014
A psychopath is at large, abducting and abusing little girls before dumping their bodies in rural Ohio. Normally, I would expect any detective in charge of the case to remain 110% focused. Unfortunately, for over half of this book, Detective CeeCee Gallagher is sidetracked by the love rectangle involving herself, her husband Eric, her FBI Agent lover, and the pretty rookie cop being trained by her husband. Additionally, I found the many constant references to her previous case, Murder Mountain, little more than shameless plugging for the writers other novel. Detective Gallagher is not a character I could warm to in any way. I found her to be disrespectful in her comments about her senior officer (not surprisingly a female!), unnecessarily bitchy towards her husband's ward and seemingly more concerned with her extramarital situation than concentrating on the case. As for Murder Mountain, I shall take a rain check as I now feel I have read it already!
on 26 July 2013
I chose to read this book as it was free. I would, without a doubt, pay to read any books by Stacy dittrich in the future. I can't say too much without giving the story away but I will say that I was gripped from beginning to end. Best book I've read in a long time.
on 29 July 2014
I found myself a little incredulous at some aspects which were obvious to the reader regarding the crimes but it's a story after all, when I bought the book I assumed(wrongly of course) it was about witchcraft or something along those lines.It,s a very readable interesting love story first of all the murder aspect seems to take second place sadly (for me) as it wasn't a straight forward crime drama.Still a good read .
on 6 July 2013
Book felt a little stilted at beginning but certainly gripped my attention and I have just bought 2 more books - it was disconcerting to read so many references to an earlier case - I feel these must have been inserted after she started writing the second book which seems to be a prequel. Characters are well drawn, emotions well described, I have to say I identified the murderer very early but enjoyed being proved right and there were still several twists also CC has some pain threshold and even more amazing recovery time !!
on 22 October 2013
I I thoroughly this book. The author"s descriptions of people and their situations made you feel as if you were there. Her relationships with her husband and Michael made me care and want to know more about who she would choose. It's frightening to know there are many weird people out there with fixations on innocent children. I will certainly read another if her books.
on 18 January 2014
Amazing read. It's definite must read. I loved the plot of the book. I could not put my kindle down when reading this. It had me on the edge of my seat which is quite something as it is normally a film that would do that. I am so looking forward to her next novel published this year 2014.