Customer reviews

TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 6 July 2014
Steve Jones, renowned geneticist, lover of snails and satire, takes us on a less jaunty ride in the Darwin Archipelago than we are used to in his books. It is both serious and meaty yet also witty and fun reading, which is a serious achievement.

I found the book to be the most well written of all Steve Jones' books to date, and I enjoyed it greatly. It didn't fell like learning yet I did learn such a lot about genetics, Darwin and science in general. They are carefully woven into the story so it does not read like a list at all, instead, a journey, and one we want to go on!

This book is highly recommended for science lovers and for those wanting to dip their toe into Steve Jones' books it will provide a fantastic first read, better than his most famous book 'language of the genes'. This book is a mine of information served with ample humour and fluidity.

We learn about books Darwin wrote which most of us have never heard of such as the movements & habits of climbing plant (no don't yawn, the extracts he quoted and the descriptions were of a book which no one else would have the perserverance to research and write and I found it really interesting), as well as the ones we have heard of such as the origin of species. You will learn about the penis waving barnacle, the mimosa genes who have much in common with a neglected animal (don't want to spoil the surprise) and the results of inbreeding on mice and men.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse