Customer reviews

Price:£2.49

on 17 May 2016
Good.
on 4 September 2014
A fantasy book with war, wizards, dark magic and some seriously powerful books. A war has been waged, after losing her father Kalia would have no expectation of what was to come. Family ties may not be made so strong when power and a kingdom are involved. A gripping tale with adventure, chaos and mayhem galore. A feast for a fantasy lover!

Though this book originally took me a while to really get into, it was worth sticking with. A big part of my problem was the sheer amount of characters with confusing names (trust me this isn't usually a problem, I've read the Game of Thrones series) which took a while to recognise and fully come to terms with. As I said, this was worth persevering with though, as they became familiar it was much less taxing on the old brain!

It was a well paced narrative which for the most part kept me engaged. I did well sticking with this as my Kindle crashed several times whilst reading making it even harder to read! Not a fun experience, but nevertheless the plot made up for it and it had some brilliant twists and turns.

The ending didn't really feel like an ending, I am well aware that this is part of a series but it was a bit, well... abrupt. It just didn't seem to satisfy me though I was intrigued to find out more, I don't think this is a series I will be continuing to follow.
on 18 December 2013
In contrast to many of the books I get free from kindle this book has everything I want in a fantasy fiction story. The characters come alive on the page, the narrative flows well and things happen in a rational manner. The heroes have character flaws. The dark side is not all powerful. People's mistakes come back and bite them. In other words, this is a well thought out book.

The magic as described in this book isn't particularly different to other stories (unlike what another reviewer said) and the product description is too limited to give you a proper picture of the story. There are four major protagonists, Darik, a boy from a good home who becomes a slave early in the book; Whelan, essentially a knight with a chequered past; Markal, a wizard, not particularly powerful but old and knowledgeable and Kallia, essentially a princess whose father is dying slowly at the start of the book. Against them is an evil wizard whose ultimate purpose is unknown.

There are Griffins (with riders) but there are no dragons as such (dragon wasps feature).
I have purchased the next two books, reviews to follow.
on 22 June 2014
A good story if you like fantasy you will enjoy this story looking forward to the next book hope tis as good
on 31 May 2014
There are a great many interesting ideas in this book but it lacks cohesiveness and seems jerky in places which makes it somewhat difficult to follow.
on 23 February 2015
bought on kindle for next to nothing intend to purchase all five books in the series as is very good reading matter
on 2 February 2015
If you love the supernatural, then this is for you. I love Michael Wallace's books, but this is my least favourite.
on 11 August 2014
Read it through to the end enjoyable in parts, really not sure if I will follow the series.
on 3 June 2015
Pretentious and wordy, borrows from other fantasy. ...
on 18 August 2014
Too jumbled and jerky, the plot hops and skips, back and forth...too much torture and bloodshed, rape and bullying...not necessary to carry the plot forward, just there to cause shivers of fear and delight...participating in horror is not a good feeling...the characters are ok, but I do get tired of naive young men who do the things they have been told by old wizards not to do...enough already! I will not get book two, I know already how it will all pan out, and I am not enough impressed with the young "hero" to bother...