Learn more Download now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Best of 2017 Shop now Shop now

on 10 July 2017
A comprehensive guide to training. You need to read it twice it's so in depth. And if you have a power meter you will get more out of the manual. I don't necessarily agree with everything but it does get the grey matter working.
on 30 November 2017
A good informative book. Follow it by the letter and show your true potential ..
on 9 October 2015
This book contains a lot of interesting information, the problem is the sheer volume of filler that Joe has also added around the good stuff.
If you know what to do already then you will read this book and be reassured. If you are not sure what to do, you will find your self thinking, please, Joe, get to the point.
Some people like his folksy, informal, very verbose style of writing, but not everyone does and some will find it infuriating; if you fall into the later category, choose another book.
on 27 January 2016
This is probably a brilliant book but heavy going. Takes a few reads to sink in....perhaps that's just me
on 8 March 2017
I wish I could give this book 6 stars. It's amazing, so well explained. The author takes a time to explain what/why not just 5 mins / 2mins break repeat which you can find in so many other books.
on 12 November 2012
This book is a revelation.

It gives an amazing method for constructing a training year. Don't expect a series of pre-set training plans. This book expects you to spend some time off your bike, with a pencil and paper, or a spreadsheet, and to actually absorb what the book says, and use the info and the methods given to build your own structured annual training plan (ATP).

The explanations and reasoning of every step in constructing the ATP are absolutely clear, and all you have to do is take on board what is said, and you'll be equipped to create yourself a progressive plan that builds up to your chosen events.

Now, the best bit is, it's for everyone. I'm certain that the scary guys and gals with spray-on clothing and their helium filled carbon bikes will get a great deal of benefit from building up to their race season following the methods described in this book. But also, people like me: an overweight 46 year old in my first year of cycling, will also benefit tremendously.

You see, the best way to train is always the best way, regardless of where you start. I will do pretty much the same stuff as the pros. But I'll do less of it, and at a lower intensity. This book allows me to construct my own annual plan using the same techniques as the pros, and the plan is fitted exactly to where I am in my training. It won't be too hard or too easy, because the plan I constructed is based on, and targeted for, me specifically, and for the amount of time I have available to ride and train.

The ATP you produce for yourself using this book will give you motivational goals to reach throughout your year, and will allow you to vary your training to keep interest and motivation high, whilst ensuring that every week, and even every day, what you are doing that day is directly progressing you along your path.

The ATP I've constructed commences in 2013 (I'm writing this in November 2012), but in the meanwhile, I've done myself a shortened four month plan to see out the rest of this year. Already my fitness has improved dramatically, I'm enjoying the challenges the training sets, and enjoying the critical rest days as well.

If you prefer to have a structured plan for your training (and it's the best way to see constant and significant gains), and if you are prepared to spend a few days reading the book, and then a few hours with Excel or an online training planner, then I think you'll really like this book, and probably will get great benefit from following its method.
0Comment| 45 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 13 July 2017
As a newcomer to road cycling I have found this book invaluable in helping me improve. A lot of the content as aimed at advanced riders but there is also information for beginners. I have implemented parts of the training into my weekly rides and already can see vast improvements in my strength and endurance.
on 10 June 2014
Been cycling for a couple of years and decided to start a proper training programme for myself.

This book takes a complete novice, or a semi-pro racer, and teaches him/her how to write up their own personal cycle training plan from scratch - depending on their strengths, weaknesses, age, skill levels and goals.

Contains some great info and an insight into the training behind one of the fastest growing popular sports/passtimes of the moment.

The book is paperback, but of large size, with numerous diagrams and pictures and written in a readable, relaxed style.

But, does it all work?
Well, I'm now 8 weeks into my 37 week training programme and my cardiovascular fitness has gone through the roof. I'm also a much more confident cyclist with clear cycling goals and the ability to reach them.
on 4 January 2014
I highly recommend this book for anyone who is serious about improving their cycling performance.
It is pretty technical, which I appreciated, as I felt that I was constantly learning as I read the book.
This is a book you will read again and again, and a really good reference too, for making decisions about your training plans.
on 3 November 2013
Very well written covers just about everything you need to know. I suspect there are more accessible books than this for complete beginners with little knowledge of the sport but everyone can take something away from its pages. If you have a paunch for engineering and/or science you are going to love it!