Rory's Story Cubes
Style: Creativity Hub Cubes|Change

on 17 January 2017
Bought the Batman ones of these as a stocking filler for my 3.5 yr old son. I knew he was too young really but thought he'd enjoy them eventually.

Boy was I wrong! He embraced them straight away and within 2 games was coming up with openings like "it was a Sunday afternoon and Robin had gone for a drive in Batman's bat mobile"!

I immediately ordered 2 news sets, thus being one of them. We've had so much fun with these so far and every game is different!
on 25 February 2012
If you're not already a fan of Rory's Story Cubes, prepare to be converted! Such a simple idea, but beautifully executed.

The dice are nicely heavy in the hand: children really want to roll them. The storage box is also superb quality: you know that it'll last you for a long time.

I've used these dice (and the other two sets available) in the classroom to inspire story telling and with my own children to occupy them on journeys. Sets can be shared across a class, with each group/table having different ones, or use a visualiser to show the same dice to the whole class. They will each interpret the pictures in their own way. Simply superb for shared writing or poetry. Think of something for each letter of the alphabet that fits the rolled image(s) or tell a story as a random die is chosen and rolled, or add another item to the list that gets ever longer ...

Lovely dice, with countless uses :-)
on 1 February 2016
This consists of 9 cubes, each with a different image on each of the 6 sides, enabling you to create a unique story on each throw. The images are open to personal interpretation as certain ones could be seen as a couple of different things.

Very compact so perfect for days out and holidays as they can just be put in your bag or pockets. Expansion packs are also available but we haven't tried these as yet.

Absolutely fantastic for our 8 year old who we think is dyslexic. She can play on her own or we can all join in and make it a family game. Great for imaginative play, and keeping children quiet.

I can see why they have won so many awards.
on 10 January 2017
These dice are fantastic, the kids love them and spent hours making up stories, my daughter even started making a book with the stories they made up and my son did the pictures, was lovely seeing them playing nicely together on something that wasnt electronic.
on 23 March 2017
These are a fantastic addition to the other story cubes I have previously bought. I use these when working therapeutically with children mainly, and they've been requested countless times already by various children. Sparking off the imaginations and aiding in focusing when coming up with a range of narratives, these can be used in many different ways, and I'd highly recommend them.

I work as a counsellor in primary and secondary schools (amongst other settings) and they're of a great size and quality to take around with me as I move from place to place too.
on 30 March 2016
I already have the standard Rory story cubes and they have been incredible fun to make up stories with the family or to give me ideas for my own stories which I post on various websites which have had good reviews.

You can use them as they are on their own or you can remove three random cubes from the standard cube pack and replace them with these. They make the stories more mythical/fantasy and add an extra dimension to the story telling. As with all the cubes in the range, they are well made and have a pleasant chunky weighty feel that suggests quality. I recommend this particularly if you have a family and you want more family fun together. What could be better than the oldest traditional past time from the beginning of time...story telling. With these even the youngest can join in the fun.
on 3 November 2017
One of the best and most creative toys I have bought for my son.

The reason I initially bought these was my son is called Rory and I thought he would like a toy with his name on it.
However after using these with him it is fantastic to see how much he enjoys making up stories together and we now often use these to make up our own stories at bedtime in place of a book.

They are so compact and easy to use we have taken them on holidays and even used them to keep my son entertained in restaurants while we wait for food.

I have since bought the batman version and will likely buy more to add to his collection.
on 30 November 2015
I first saw these cubes used in a classroom with a group of primary school children who used them to tell stories. as soon as i saw them being used, i knew that they would be a brilliant thing to have to use when working with children and young people in a huge variety of contexts. i have used these story cubes with children as young as 3/4 right up to age 18+.
The images on the cubes are brilliantly designed as they are clear and easy to understand as well as leaving space for the children to use their imaginations to explore other meanings. These are a brilliant tool to have available for anyone who is working with children or young people and might need to help those people express themselves, explore different themes or use their imagination. Brilliant product. Highly recommended.
VINE VOICEon 5 July 2014
Loving dice and discovering these - I just had to have some!

I stumbled upon a video on YouTube where this game was being demonstrated by the inventors. (I'd never heard of it) At first, like most people I guess, I was a little sceptical as to whether it would be the success it appeared it could be when I actually came to have a go myself. We're all a little shy I guess, and so the thought of rolling random images on cubes, and then having to `link' those images up to tell some kind of story (which could easily be nonsense - depending on what was rolled!) sounded a bit embarrassing to say the least... However; I thought I'd give these a go; not least because I love games involving dice (and these are nothing but dice with images instead of numbers, and so were so appealing to me) and also the fact that the people I saw playing with them seemed to really to be enjoying themselves!

Having ordered my set - I couldn't wait to received them I was so eager and ready to go - and I wasn't disappointed! The very first throw, gave me quite an amazing set of images that I was fortunate enough to be able to think of a `link' without too much thought, which was good, as I would think a bad set of images on the very first go might influence newbies into thinking this may not be a good idea - but as it was, because of my good experience, in the very first instant my confidence and imagination had both `fired'! I then was surprised yet again when introducing them to my partner, who doesn't really enjoy dice games as much as myself, and who I thought would be pretty hopeless at it - proved to be much better than myself!

Okay; they are a little expensive (and dice always are) but they ARE excellent quality (and so they should be) they come in a very neat little box with a magnetic fastener, and there are `expansion' sets.

All in all a VERY good product; a challenging and imaginative game that I think is good for both young and old alike, and particularly for elderly people, in that it would be a great way to be sure their minds remained active!

Five stars for a wonderful, useful and enjoyable little idea!
on 24 June 2016
Purchased these a while ago for my daughter. She loves them and even uses them to help with homework stories! Recently she joined a drama group and took these along to one of the sessions, the trainer was intrigued as he hadn't seen them before and is now purchasing for the group to use when making up a new story to act out.

We have other sets too - once you have the original you can get additional sets which just make it even more fun. We take these with us when going away or out for a meal (along with a card game) as cannot stand seeing families who sit at a table staring at electronics - a) you're a family who should enjoy time together and b) this makes for some fun family times!