TOP 100 REVIEWERon 4 November 2012
Towards the end of her life, I took my elderly mother to see Robin Williamson, in Bardic mode, at the Sidmouth Folk Festival. I had a feeling she might like him, and appreciate his drolleries and way with an audience.
To my relief and delight, she loved the whole experience. So did I. I`ve seen Robin a few times now - including back in the sixties with the Incredible String Band, an influential group of musicians in their day - and know to expect the unexpected. He is a warm, articulate, witty and engaging storyteller, and here he`s collected some of his own retellings of tales ancient, old, and not so old. The illustrations are evocative, complementing the text beautifully.
RW has his own offbeat way with a tale or an anectote, or a bit of shaggy dog whimsy, and some of these tales and poems have an open-ended quality - like life.
This is a lovely book to own and to dip into, and I can`t help hearing Robin`s idiosyncratic Scottish burr in my mind as I read these pieces.
That`s what my mother liked, I think, that day over twenty years ago: not only his ebullience and madcap wit, but the fact that you could easily hear every word he spoke or sang. You can hear it in this book of wonders too.
Listen...
on 20 November 2016
Excellent! I hope to see this in print again in the very near future! I would suggest that it be included in all college curriculum of anthropology.
on 13 September 2014
A brilliant collection of stories and poems told by a storytelling genius :-)