on 26 May 2014
You cannot hope to be a copyeditor without this book. It is clearly written, well laid out and deserves pride of place on my desk. I must add, however, that there are one or two indications of how certain things are written in European fashion that I do not agree with. And I live and work in Europe!
on 6 April 2016
Incredibly helpful!
on 18 June 2013
taking a class in copy editing. book was recommended for class.
this is a great reference for anyone interested in copy editing.
on 8 June 2006
This covers all the basics and enough of the complicated stuff to keep you on the right track. I write technical documentation and I find it invaluable, but it would be of value to you whatever field you happened to be in. Its the only book I've ever read that gives a decent explanation of how to properly use the comma. Its rules are easy to follow, and it has some nice exercises that allow you to see if you really understood them.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 16 October 2014
This is a clear and comprehensively written work which I found extremely useful. The only drawback for me is that the work is American and while excellent generally uses American typesettings. British typesetting is also explained but the default is American. The book works well so long as you bear this fact in mind. I couldn't seem to find a British book quite as well written and comprehensive as this one -- though one may exist. Highly recommended for anyone that needs to polish up copyediting skills. Also useful for writers in need of reference when formatting work or proofreading.