on 23 May 2007
As the back page review states, this brilliant book reads like the best masterclass notes. Sue Tompkins' only other book was the Aspects in Astrology, published back in 1989. That was in a class of its own. It's been a long wait, but well worth it. In this new book she covers the planets (in remarkable and varied detail), signs, aspects, houses and some fascinating case studies. It's the sort of book that can only be written by a first class teacher and someone who obviously lives and breathes astrology. I've been searching for a great book to recommend to my students. This is it! And I think a number of practising astrologers will gain a huge amount from it, too. Right now, there's no other book that can compare to it for authority or sheer depth of interpretation. The book is sure to become a modern classic.
on 20 February 2009
I have had the privilege of being taught Astrology by Sue Tompkins at various times over the past 10 years; I thought her previous book 'Aspects in Astrology' was a classic must-have for any student, but this book surpasses it, which was in my opinion never going to be easy!

It is a book you can read several times from cover to cover, or dip in and out of, and each time the reader will find something new, relevant and interesting to learn. Well done Sue, here's to the next book and thanks for imparting your wisdom over the years, either face to face or through the written word!
on 20 April 2011
I must admit I was a little disappointed when I received this book, since I already own numerous books on astrology and found very little here that was not covered elsewhere. For example, I have 'The Astrologer's Handbook' by Sakoian and Acker which, though much older is similar in scope and (in my opinion) much better. I also own a few books by Stephen Arroyo and Melanie Reinhart, which provide much greater detail on the outer planets and asteroids, and by comparison this book seemed superficial. The modern astrological information regarding nodes and asteroids was very brief and throughout the book i found I did not agree with many of the author's so-called 'cookbook' interpretations (although granted she urges caution when it comes to such 'cookbook' interpretations, but still the book is full of them). There were several occasions when the author touched on an interesting topic and then said 'but a discussion of that topic is beyond the scope of this book', and that - for me - was the problem: all the interesting bits were left out! having said that if you are a complete beginner to astrology then this will be a useful primer. It is easy to read and quite simplified, so if that's what you're looking for, then it's probably a good purchase.
on 4 June 2010
both this and tompkins 'Aspects of astrology' book are superb and I've read quite a few. This is now my bible and I am self learning about natal astrology charts.
I would really recommend this.
on 3 February 2014
Sue Tompkins is an amazing women, a true visionary.
This book and the "Aspects of Astrology" written before this one completely compliment each other. This book was an absolute must for anyone starting out or already well aquainted in the area of astrology.
She has all the skills, academic knowledge & complete professionalism required.
She is a pioneer in her field.
A book that it again easy to follow & one that will be referred to repeatedly through ones ownership.
As her other book "Aspects of Astrology" is ....A must buy.
on 23 January 2014
doesn't matter HOW many years you are studying astrology...doesn't matter how many years you are practicing astrology...this is a foundation book when you get stuck...she is clear and concise, no nonsense...thank you SUE!!!
on 13 June 2010
This is a superb book. Full of easy to understand information. Well written by the author - a fantastic tool for all levels of Astrologers.
Fantastic value from the supplier with very quick delivery.
on 28 February 2011
I bought this book as a present for my brother on his birthday who is into Astrology,he says it is the best book on this subject he has read.He has alot of books on the subject of Astrology so I'll take his word for it.
on 2 December 2015
Disappointing, but still valuable as an entry level text for beginning evaluation and construction of natal charts.
on 28 March 2015