Format: Paperback|Change

on 31 August 2016
Bought for my daughter who thought she was useless as a mum- until she read the book and discovered she was an exceptionally good mum and the kids were normal. Worth reading for those who have any doubts that they may have misplaced the text book that came with their children!!!
on 3 May 2017
Just started to read this book, love it. So well written and easy to access. Thank you Steve.
on 4 January 2016
Full of useful advice, although it's often quite subjective and I didn't agree with some of the generalisations about childcare and other subjects. However, I still found it very helpful and am re-reading parts that I liked. Mum of 6 and 4 year olds.
on 2 February 2016
Had it a day and read most of it, it's well written, easy to read and just common sense. If you're looking for guidance rather than an instruction book this is handy. I just wanted a steer on being a calmer mum! not letting my tiredness result in shouting at the kids. Might get the other 2 on raising boys and raising girls.
on 24 September 2016
I don't normally write reviews. I bought this book a while ago as I was sick of the arguments in our house and hated the fact that we all (adults and children) were feeling unhappy. The advice given in this book is nothing more than common sense. I felt I wasted my time reading it.
on 8 April 2010
Full marks - every parent should read this book and stop and think about the obvious ways we can help our children grow into more self-confident adults. Well done.
VINE VOICEon 28 August 2007
With a young son, I'm often drawn to reading parenting books - especially when the going gets tough and I need confirmation of my actions or a fresh perspective.
Luckily, this book gave me both. Fortunately, I really liked SB's writing style right from the start, which made getting with his idea's much easier - his candid, no nonsense approach is fresh and accessible and he doesn't hide away under cliche's.
Real life examples are interspersed with cartoons and hand drawn diagrams which makes for really easy reading and what he says makes sense. My only criticism is that perhaps quite a bit of what he says is common sense (well to me anyway) but then, I suppose, sometimes we fail to see whats right under our noses until its pointed out to us.
Also, I found the chapter on working mums depressing; as a healthcare professional who works part time, I can only agree with what he says and have heard the Playground Mafia at my local Primary School referring to the kids who have been in Childcare as 'Stepford Kids' - unfortunately, I work 95% because I have to and only 5% because I want to and I found it made me feel guilt(ier) about a situation that I have little control over. I am very jealous of those mums lucky enough to care for their very young kids at home fulltime - though I realise there is no easy option, the choice would be nice!
Anyway, in a nutshell - If you hate Gina Ford's 'ideas' and love Tracey Hogg (the baby whisperer) and want to learn a little more about whats goes on inside the minds of your kids then this is the book for you!
Highly recommended.
on 28 June 2014
A great book full of useful tips and pointers for parents raising children. Also, surprisingly easy to read and avoids the trap of being preachy to parents. I've read a few that made me feel like I was a rubbish parent making thousands of mistakes - this avoids that while giving me help to improve my parenting skills - which probably most of us could do with. It makes you feel okay to be human and make mistakes (as we all do and will).

This book was recommended to me by a friend who runs parenting courses when I asked for a book that would help with my 3 yr old boy (who is very smart and strong willed) to make sure he didn't end up running the house. I'd definitely recommend to all other parents.
on 28 May 2007
Unfortunately we cannot all be as perfect as Mrs Selwood. This book is for those of us who, although cope nicely with our families, want to be the best parents we can be. I loved it.
on 8 May 2011
This book is absolutely sensational. We thought we were doing OK with our 3 year old daughter in the line of discipline, but the ideas in this book have added a whole new dimension resulting in a happy daughter and even happier parents.