on 19 October 2015
I have a large collection of these Black and Decker books, and decided to add this one as I was looking for storage ideas. I generally go to all of these books as a source of ideas and inspiration for my own projects, as looking through the plans tends to highlight different ways of putting my own projects together, that I perhaps hadn't considered. Whilst the plans in these books are great, I think their greatest strength is actually just in showing you how things are put together, inspiring you to build your own custom products and giving you the technical know how and confidence to do so. This book is no exception and inspired me to build shelving in my loft, and add a large floor to ceiling cabinet into the boarded up wall space in my bathroom extension, where an old doorway had previously been, the latter of which I would never previously have thought of, and was a tremendous addition to the limited space I have.
I would disagree with a previous reviewer who stated that you need a multitude of tools for the projects in these books. Whilst they do list the tools (and general supplies) you need for each product, they also state you can use alternatives, etc. When I first started out doing projects I did everything by hand, sawing, screwing etc, but due to illness and the fact that my growing interest in projects justified the expense, I now have an ever growing collection of power tools to make these projects easier and faster to complete. But this is really time and ill health related, I managed perfectly well with simple hand tools to begin with, and the majority of projects in this book especially, are relatively straightforward, despite the end results appearing otherwise. If you're just starting out, I'd still highly recommend these books for the reasons already mentioned, and if you're already heavily into projects, they are still a good source of ideas and inspiration, to be flipped through whenever you're trying to come up with or think through and plan out a new project.
on 19 February 2011
Like many of these books the authors expect you to have more power tools to hand than the normal household would accumulate over a lifetime of normal DIY. If you bought the tools it would cost more than going out and buying a kit. Useful but only to a certain point.
on 7 December 2014
I am a novice and wanted to maximise my storage space. The instructions are second to none. The projects even give you the diagram in colour and lists ALL the materials you needs and measurements. You can even customise things to fit. I would recommend others to buy this book. It will save you lots of money and it gives you confidence to do things.