Format: Hardcover|Change

on 9 April 2004
When I was first looking at this book on Amazon I thought to myself wow, this book is expensive (although there are alot more expensive books out there), but in the end I decided to go ahead with my purchase and I wasnt dissapointed.
The book is (as it says) the complete book of personal training. It is wrote by a well know author Douglas Brooks and the reading is straight forward and easy to understand. It covers a wide range of topics from setting up your own business to keeping clients, how to write the correct program upo for and how to progress your clients program correctly. It then goes on to discuss how to work with the older client, clients with various health related problems and more besides.
The book is a total of 598 pages and certainly a great read, I havent read it all yet, but from what I have read so far I certainly will be reading it all. I would recommend this book to others out there who wish to become a Personal trainer or even if you already are one (like me) because theres sure to be something to help you further in this book.
Dont be put off by the price, this book can and will teach you all you need to know to get you up and running with your own business. It isnt a boring book that seems to drag, but a more interesting book to read. You can also (as always) refer back to it at anytime....well worth the £40.00 asking price.
on 3 April 2010
The title of this book is accurate in that it is an extremely comprehensive overview of 'Personal Training'.

However, in my opinion, in attempting to cover such a broad range of topics in one book means that certain areas are not covered in any meaningful depth. For example, the coverage of actual exercises to provide to clients is very limited. The author does indicate that exercise "prescription" is the realm of healthcare professionals: but providing actual exercises to clients is a large part of what personal trainers do and I feel the book should have included more exercises and how to perform them correctly. Conversely, the need to behave professionally as well as prevent or insure against personal liability, if something goes wrong, is very comprehensively covered .

In summary: generally an excellent book but if your'e looking for exercises to add to your repertoire you won't get them here.
on 13 April 2010
I read about this book online and decided to buy it. It is a very good reference, well written and well explained.
It covers lots of aspects and hopefully,it will help me further when I will be qualified as a personal trainer.
I will recommend this book.
on 2 December 2012
I was still a little low on confidence after qualifying so i got this book, 100 pages in and its given me a boost! If anyone else feels they are missing something or want to give their clients their moneys worth I urge to to buy this book!
on 9 November 2014
If you are starting out as a personal trainer this is an excellent resource - it is not a book about routines and exercises you can use for your clients - it explains importance of logo designs, marketing, copyright, legal protection and loads more - it is abook about how to set up a personal training business not how to run a PT session.
on 14 April 2008
This book is worth every penny! It is THE most comprehensive guide to all aspects of the business of Personal Training that I have ever seen. If you buy this book, you almost certainly won't need another.

The advice is common sense, useful, logically set out and comes directly from "The horses mouth" so to speak. Douglas Brooks knows his stuff and he has taken the time to put it in writing for the benefit of others.

If you are a personal trainer you need this book!
on 1 January 2014
I chose to give this five stars as the information contained was brilliant, my only critisim was that the description did not tell you this was american based which does have a slight relevence for what i needed this book for. but for someone who wants a really comprehensive and well thought out book on personal training this is it
on 11 March 2013
Full of information for you to refer back to if you have any client issues and are stuck for answers.
on 1 October 2008
I bought this book two years ago and still use it as a point of reference. It is really well written and concise.
on 21 December 2011
This book is extremely useful answers a great many questions, and is written in such a way, as to be easy to read and use as a reference, a must buy for any fitness enthusiast or personal trainer.