on 30 May 2011
Of all the books I have come across covering "Getting started" "Building your own" CNC machine this has to be rated as the best.
It is practical and goes through each aspect of CNC at an easy pace in language that doesn't presuppose 25 years in the electronics industry.
After reading this I felt confident to spend money on converting a mill.
The book has answered all my questions and solved a couple of problems I wasn't aware of!
on 16 September 2011
I found this extremely useful when compared to the small range of alternatives available. All other books I could find followed the same theme - "This is how I built my machine, so this is exactly how you should build yours". This book is not like that - it's as general as possible without having to dumb out the details. There is useful information to help decide what you need for your own project; what type of motor, how powerful, pros and cons of different choices - moving table or gantry, how to use the free software available, etc. I wouldn't have bothered getting started without the thought-provoking ideas that I got from this book.

The only reason I didn't give five stars was because I thought the book could have been longer - only 224 pages but lots of that is eaten by glossaries, supplier lists and pictures (although these are excellent and shouldn't be removed!). Maybe it needs a second edition with updated info on USB-based controllers rather than parallel port, also some updated links for suppliers, and make these really international rather than USA focused.

Overall, highly recommended - a thoroughly decent stab at a very complicated subject. Good work.
on 19 December 2010
Being a mechanical engineer, I found it very light and suitable for people with noe engineering or DIY experience. However, not being english native speaker, I found it very useful to build up the basic vocabulary related to CNC.
In general, A good book for novices.
on 19 July 2013
My father and I are thinking of making some CNC machinery. He is in his 80s and has researched the subject but found a lot of the terminology confusing and books biased to one design or another. The nice thing about this book is that it covers just about everything one would need to know before starting on a project. So I would recommend it to a beginner.

Why only 4 stars? Well, it's been a very long time since we adopted the metric system in the UK and we found it strange when the author talks about rating motor torque in foot ounces. It's a very small point and I guess the book was written for the American market.
on 8 April 2016
This book has changed my life - I am now making a lot more than previously
on 26 May 2015
great
on 28 April 2014
Not really useful for that purpose
Now I need more words to submit this review so I'll use this to fill out the requirement