Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 18 January 2013
Not joking, there's loads of stuff in this book, even topics I thought wouldn't be in here, and before this, I bought other books which should arrive soon, and now I'm thinking.. why did I buy those too? all those topics are in this book I've just bought - The Cinema Book.

Defo worth the money.
on 8 December 2010
Bought this for my Media Production course at University. I've found it amazingly useful and detailed. Highly quoteable, and covers every corner of the Film Industry and every form of Narrative. Bravo to Pam Cook and all the contributors.

The only tiny blemish was that it was damaged in transit, placed in a box with two other books with little protective packaging.
on 8 May 2009
If you're a serious student of film - and if you only buy one book - then this is the one to buy. Is it fun? Well, not really, go for a Bordwell & Thompson book if you're looking for that. This book has plenty of essay-friendly material and certainly gives you an unbiased, factual approach to the history of cinema, its contributors and influences. And if you can't find what you want here, then you'll probably be hard pushed to find it elsewhere. It's broken down in to the big cinema periods - Hollywood Classical Era, French New Wave etc. And just to make it more appealing, there's plenty of colourful pictures too :)
on 22 November 2009
I've bought this book on my tutor's recommendation and I have to admit that this is the best book for film studies students out there. Love it!:)
on 5 September 2011
This book covers such a vast array of topics that it is a default buy for film students or if you do any media related subject as it has very good content. Was delivered in days and I got an A in my essay obviously using other books but this has quotes from so many writers that it literally tells you which other books to get to back up your research. Definitely buy this
on 22 October 2014
After I read it all I might give it 5 stars, but I am just beginning my journey through 500-odd pages... For a long time I couldn't make up my mind between this book and "Introduction to film Studies", but eventually settled on this one. So far I am pleased. For me it has a more logical, more chronological/historical approach to the subject matter, but each chapter can also be read on its own in whatever order. Well illustrated both with pictures and film case studies and very, very comprehensive.
on 13 November 2014
Okay, slight damages on the cover but the insides are fine. This book comes under every week's recommended reading for my film history module. Looking forward to using it extensively to write my essays.
on 26 May 2013
This updated version is very negotiable for film students and its illustrations are all well chosen and good quality images
on 27 September 2016
It may seem a little overstuffed, but it contains an enormous amount of knowledge for every film student or enthusiast.
on 14 September 2014
This is an excellent reference book, especially for someone studying the history of cinema.