on 9 June 2011
A book to accompany a major exhibition at the Imperial War Museum, well written and heavily illustrated. It covers the many aspects of life for children throughout the Second World War, how it affected them and what they got up to while all schools were closed.
on 11 January 2012
I have several books by Juliet Gardiner and I really like her writing style. This was no different. It's easy to understand and she doesn't waffle. I find WWII social history extremely interesting which is why I like this author. The reason I didn't give it 5 stars is because I find that Juliet Gardiner's books a little bit repetitive. I guess she only has a certain amount of sources to use but I have 3 or 4 of her books and there are sources repeated in all of them.
on 11 December 2013
full of good information, and lovely pictures and anecdotal stories of the time, very well presented, good buy if interested in this time period
on 23 June 2013
I had seen this book and read a couple or pages I found it so interesting I decided to purchase it I couldn't believe the price or the condition of it when it arrived the packaging and delivery time were excellent. I have no hesitation in recommending this seller or dealing with him again.
on 6 July 2015
Very good.
on 29 November 2014
Great book, unbelievable price.
on 7 October 2014
Lovely book, beautifully illustrated. Bought as a gift and very much appreciated.
on 30 July 2014
very good book, .as I was an evacuee myself it brought it brought back many memories
on 29 March 2005
We constantly are confronted with reports and pictures from WWII and somehow it seems to blend together. This outstanding book gives an incredable insight into children's views of what adults did to them during WWII. I am 37 years old and it never even remotly occurred to me to look at it from this point of view. This book made me ask my parents about their feelings and the things that happened to them during this tragic time. The reports are very touching, the pictures of evacuated children somehow are getting more under my skin than the often seen ones about trenches and other war victims. What has this war done to this generation? How were they able to rebuild a life after all what happened to them? A book that I am sure I will pick up over and over again.
32 people found this helpful
on 11 May 2010
I bought this book after visiting the excellent Imperial War Museum exhibition it accompanies and was not disappointed. A truly comprehensive record of childrens' lives in WW2 - very interesting text (I read it from cover to cover) and lots of fascinating pictures of photos, drawings and artefacts from the exhibition. Impressive.
3 people found this helpful