on 9 January 2016
Sharp, sometimes disturbing, a detective series with a touch of the metaphysical, which I like very much. The plots twist and turn, are never predictable, and he certainly has some imagination re methods of gruesome death! I would NOT like to meet any of his serial killers, and am very happy to see that justice is done with extreme prejudice, lol.

HIGHLY recommended - but take note, you do need to read these books in order. Buy the first collection (1-4) before starting on this one as there are some essential back references.
on 19 June 2015
These are good books. I advice reading them in order although I got hooked by reading one from the middle of the series and then getting the others not in order. I finally gave in and purchased the first four books in the collection 1, to read the ones I missed and purchased the second collection to read those I missed.

It is such a good series that when I have read the missing ones, I will start the whole series again. this is not as silly as you think as there is so much going on, with twists and turns that I might have forgotten some details.

the people that you meet in the books are not one dimensional and you get to care about what happens to them.
on 30 August 2016
This second collection continues the eerie and enthralling adventures of pi Charlie Parker while developing and extending the themes of the earlier four novels. Connolly is a master of atmosphere. The supernatural element is always present but never over stated with none of those 'Oh, come on!' moments that plague many other attempts at combining the detective thriller with the supernatural.
on 27 May 2014
This is the second time I've read his books although not in a collection. Love all the stories and the characters. Will John Connolly consider making a movie. I would love to see it and know exactly who I'd choose to play Charlite.
on 14 February 2016
Ohhhhh! Not sure about this lot. I've read through the first couple of books but have just reached The Reapers and I'm putting it away for a while. I think I've had John Connolly overload. Will leave it for a while and come back to the last two later then will update my review.
on 22 May 2013
There's no bad here! Apart from the end, which comes too soon...

Throughout the series, Connolly gradually moves the reader out of their everyday reality and into one where ghosts and gremlins and devils and demons hold sway. Definitely the master of the inexplicable noise in an empty house, the strange shadow glimpsed on a lonely road.

I love the Charlie Parker books. I'm not a Christian - far from it, I'm a hybrid pagan/atheist, but although the books contain elements of religiosity, they don't rub your face in it and they're very believable. He has the same ability as Stephen King to make the reader suspend disbelief and lose themself in his alternative reality.

And, of course, they're great crime novels as well!
on 7 May 2014
John Connolly creates a sinister amalgam of real crime and the unnatural. His characters are well drawn but before they become likeable many die mysteriously. I wonder what will be Parker's eventual fate.
on 10 May 2015
The greatest series written since Adam was a boy. Do yourself a favour and buy and read it. If you don't love it I'll give you your money back. That's how confident. I am!!!! (ps check terms and conditions: :-) )
on 28 August 2016
Great books and wonderful value on the KIndle. The Charlie Parker series is an engaging blend of Private Investigator, the macabre and supernatural with bizarre characters and a sprinklings of wry humour. To my knowledge only the brilliant Angelus Trilogy by Jon Steele loosely fits in the same Genre.
on 4 April 2016
Love the Charlie Parker books.I have read them several times and it is great to have four books together. I have also got the first four in one book as well as the latest in paperback. Love Louis and Angel.